Used 2002 Mazda Protege Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mazda Protege - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:

A low power beauty
By Lin

2002 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Great car that is low on power. Beware of an annoying auto trans whine between 24 and 38 mph with light throttle. Mazda states this noise is normal for auto trans models. 195/50X16 Dunlops are good tires, but usualy takes a few days to locate.

Handling,Interior quality and layout

More power. Better customer support for dealer service problems. Mazda told me they would not help, to chose another dealer

Way more interesting than the others
By lesliej

2002 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Before buying this car I test drove EVERYTHING in similar classes- it took me a year to buy a new car. This was the most functional and fun to drive car of them all. The year that I've had the car has confirmed my initial impression & I'm very happy with my purchase. The suspension is tight which gives it a rougher ride than others but as a result it handles way better. Good driver's car with great visibility and manouverability. No mechanical problems.

Good handling & visibility. Looks good as well.

Improved gas mileage would be nice.

The Greates Car Ever
By jcg44498

2002 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My Protege was my first new car and it was the greatest decision I ever made. A year later, it runs great and I got a good deal on it. It is so comfortable and stylish. When considering vehicles to buy, the Protege stood out as the best all around value for the options I could get for the price. I don't regret anything about buying my Protege and definitely recommend it for someone buying their first car.

Power assisted rack and pinion steering give you great control of the car while driving.

Tinted windows finish off the stylish look of the car. Definite yes on tined window all the way around.

Dont miss out! This car's a GEM!
By Happy with Mazda

2002 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased the 4 door 2002 ES Model in Seabreeze -(Light Aqua/Green) as a leftover in Jan of 03. This was a great move, the car is reliable, good price, GREAT looking inside AND out, and ALOT peppier than youd expect. Also very comfortable. The 6CD changer and sunroof make great toys for the price. Safety is covered with the airbags and brakes... I highly recommend this car!

Great visibility through the windshield- wide range of view, Great Body Style, Stylish Interior, refined spoilers: sporty but not gaudy, and HUGE trunk!

I drive ALOT everyday, and notice that a tank of gas doesnt last very long, so Im refueling more than Id like to, but like I said, I drive ALOT.

Excellent
By buffet2

2002 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is the first new car that I have purchased. I have enjoyed the car! It is roomier than it's competitors. With a family and a busy schedule, that is really important. I am still getting high gas mileage even though the car is a year old. It was difficult at first to get used to a 4 cylinder, but this car still has enough horsepower that I don't seem to notice it anymore.

GAS MILEAGE, backseat room.