2002 Mazda Protege - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:
Best 2001-2002 buy in Sedans
By Mike-from-Morden on 04/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased the Protege LX 4 speed, automatic (2.0L) one year ago. Since that time, I have not regreted purchasing this car. It's interior and exterior design is considerably better (overall) than the Corolla or Civic (I have friends who own both). It handles well in poor conditions (snow, rain, etc.). Tight suspension, average fuel economy, sporty design, quiet ride, and a great buy. Competitive financing and warrenty. The LX model with the sport package is cheeper than many other cars with similar features.

A Great Value
By tc on 04/22/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've driven Hondas in the past, but the price comparison and features of the Protege outweighed brand loyalty. I was also frustrated by the awkward position of the parking brake in the 5-spd Civic I test drove. I bought the LX Protege with moonroof,abs,side airbags, floormats and cargo net all for $13100 plus tax and tags, (includes $1500 rebate). Entrance is easy and the driver seat adjuster is great for my back. A quiet, fun car to drive.

One small problem
By Scott37042 on 04/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

In all, a good car for around town. Nice style, easy to maneuver, steady suspension. The car has good torque for start-stop driving in crowded traffic. All of the knobs and switches are easy to locate and use. The down side? It loses its "oomph" way before 60mph. There is a very irritating wind-noise over 65mph. I don't know if it is the same for every protege, but mine has a high pitch wistle at 70mph+ that seems to come from around the windshield (the dealer has been unable to fix).

Satisfied LX owner
By SatisfiedOwner on 04/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

What an incredible car for such a price! Its fun to drive (great handling) and it has a very nice build quality. The 2.0L is very nervous and its exterior is damn nice to look at. The only thing I dislike is its sound- proofing, especially under the car. You can hear every atom of dust hit the car. This could definitely be improved. But I don't regret bying this car a second... it's way better than a civic or VW and you pay less because you don't pay as much for the name (but a the speed they are selling them, you'll be soon paying for the name I guess)

Well worth the price!
By arl-va on 04/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The Protege definitely beats the pants off the Civic or Corolla in the great Japanese economy car matchup. Styling, responsiveness and power are all in the Protege's corner. The stereo is also impressive.

2002 Mazda Protege ES Automatic
By nealnick on 04/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We were in search of a 4 door, compact car with an automatic for a reasonable price. When we drove the ES, we were very impressed. The car drove like a much more expensive car and had very good steering and road feel. Decent automatic with smooth shifts. Good brakes. Interior very nice. 1% over invoice pricing and a $1500 Mazda rebate sealed the deal for us.

Don't over look this gem!
By Bill S. on 04/07/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I was going to get a VW Golf or a Honda Civic just like everyone else but then I decided to give the 2002 Mazda Protege LX a look and am I glad I did. The car rides great with sport suspension, and if there were a ratio for power to fuel economy, this car has got it absolutely right. Tight steering is a definite plus as well as the view. I like the fact that this car isn't loaded down with a lot of gizmos that add weight and can go wrong in the future. It has just was is needed for driving fun and "zoom, zoom, zoom" in the Phoenix area. Only thing I will need to do is have the windows tinted.

Not for the over 50 drivers
By elymae on 04/02/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

If you're looking for a lot of zoom, zoom, the 2002 Mazda Protege' is the car for you. Excellent performance, sharp on turns, fast and sporty. Roomy interior with plenty of leg room, however, the seats are too hard and not very comfortable, and the suspension is too tight, making for a very uncomfortable ride. If you don't mind a rough ride, this sports car is a good choice in the mid priced compact sedans.

Getting more for what you are paying
By Met on 04/01/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my car with 4 discounts combined, CustomerCash, AutoShowDiscount, CollegeGrad, ManufacturerDiscount. I checked 2003 Corollas, but, smaller in size and gets more expensive with the options. Protege is fun to drive compact sedan.

WOW! SO MUCH CLASS FOR SO LESS
By alahiri on 03/31/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Just bought an Shimmering Sand LS with ABS, Alloy wheels, Sunroof, Side Airbags. The interior is also sand. It looks elegant. Road-holding is excellent. Quality is unbeatable. It's roomier than Corolla, Civic and Sentra. It also costs less than almost everyone in its class except the Korean makes. Test drive if you like class and performance at an affordable price.