2002 Mazda Protege Sedan Consumer Reviews 10

2002 Mazda Protege - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:

2002 Protege Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
Excellent ES 5 Speed
By ProES02

2002 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

A very solidly built and very fun to drive.I test drove the Civic,Corolla,Sentra and Elantra GT but went back to the Protege ES because of the classy styling and excellent handling not found on the others.Also,with more standard equipment and the available ABS/Side Air bag/Moonroof option makes it a great deal.

Favorite Features

Great Handling...Smooth 5 Speed shifting....Comfortable Interior... beautiful 16" rims....FAST with the 5 Speed...Gas Mileage(30+)

Suggested Improvements

Lighted cruise control buttons on the steering wheel

mazda has a winner
By mazman

2002 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

my mazda dx protege kicks it, a nice little car that handles really nice. only time will tell if it's going to be reliable. I heard of some engine viberations when cold but nothing else negative. if any one has more information please let me know. I have an auto and it does alright.

Favorite Features

the large windshield, stering wheel is cool and I like the new logo

Suggested Improvements

a six cylinder engine! oh yea!

Mazda Protege ES
By Buffalo

2002 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Great little car. Just purchased for my 18 year old daughter. Man is she getting comments about how great it looks. I drove it home for 50 miles from the dealership-what a Hoot to drive. Lots of power for this little ride. Sports suspension hugs the corners. Kids in California would love to get a hold of this one and turn it into a Fast and Furious 9 second qtr. turner. Great value for the buck.....

Favorite Features

styling, ergonomics & fuel economy

Suggested Improvements

rear end does not match sleek front end. a few more HP wouldn't hurt either.

i like it a lot
By Joneser

2002 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I just picked up my new car last night and the smile has not left my face. Partially because it's a new car, and because I think that I got a really good deal. I picked up the 4-door LX auto, w/moon, alloys, cd, for @ $15,500.

Favorite Features

St. Louis was a test market for Mazda. I got a 6 year 100,000 powertrain and engine, opposed to the normal 3/36,000. Also no payments till Jan 1 03. I really liked the incentive to get the moonroof and alloys, Mazda gives a $800 rebate if you get both.

Suggested Improvements

Bigger arm rest, more speakers, thats about it.

My Protoge
By sendel74usa

2002 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had no problems with that car, have had it more than a year now, the only thing i have had to do is change the oil and rotate tires. Overall an excellent car!

Favorite Features

Lights on the inside

This car rocks
By Anna Rudowski

2002 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The Mazda Protege is only second to one vehicle that I have driven before it. That vehicle would be a BMW 3 series. Other than that, this is the most fun car I have ever driven. The 5 spd manual transmission is easy and comfortable to drive. The price was also amazing. I would have easily paid much more money for this car, and it would have been worth it.

Favorite Features

Interior all the way. The stering wheel and gauge cluster looks incredible. The manual transmission shifter and radio controls look professional. I love the interior!

Suggested Improvements

I don't like the rear of the veh. Looks too plain and old. The interior of the veh needs a power lock switch on the passenger side and the dome light looks cheap.

ES Protege Is A Great Choice
By TAURSHO1995

2002 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I had the car for a few months now and am very pleased with the choice. Very sporty and stylish with a solid on-road feel and excellent reliability record.Everything is tighly put together....no rattles or squeaks anywhere to be found.Handles like it's on rails

Favorite Features

Great 5 Speed shifter..Excellent gas mileage(30+mpg)..Great Handling Great 16" Rim and tire setup

Suggested Improvements

Haven't found anything to improve yet .....CAR HAS BEEN GREAT ....

Protege a great compact
By Ray Moore

2002 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have driven the civic,sentra, and the corolla; in my mind the Protege is all in all a superior automobile. For the money and driving experience none of the other cars in this class can beat it. I am really impressed

Favorite Features

For ME-- the ride is comfortable, gas milage is teriffic, fit and finish looks good. Engine is more than adequate. The LX is plenty enough car.

Suggested Improvements

Right arm rest extend more foreward(somehow??). One more higher speed on the air conditioning fan.

Mazda Protege 2002 ES Standard
By Newcarbuyer

2002 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car for a month and love it. The ES is fully loaded, disk breaks, ABS, moon roof, CD, ft/sd airbags, wheel locks, cargo net, and alarm. This car spoils the driver with lavish comfort and exceptional safety. Not only does one receive all these extras, but they come at a very reasonable price. The drive, very stable due to its fully independent suspension but the standard is very touchy in low gears. As close as you can get to a miata with out tossing practicality out the window.

Favorite Features

Interior and exterior styling. White- faced instrument cluster that radiates an amber glow at night. The suspension, plenty of grip without sacrificing ride quality.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the buying experience, this isn't isolated to Mazda, but is a problem through out the automotive industry. The finance manager tried to change terms on contract then what the salesman told me. I ended signing another contract, but Iím happy in the end with 0% financing.

Best compact sedan money can buy!!
By Jhatfi

2002 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car, plain and simple. I bought my 02' Protege ES because I had to downgrade in order to save money because of my new son. Its 2.0L motor is peppy for a 4 banger that allows for pretty easy passing and decent acceleration even up steep hill grades although another 20 horsepower would be appreciated. The interior is very nice and well laid out. The ES actually has a tight and solid feel of a higher priced car and handles great, although the supspension is a little stiff.

Favorite Features

Handling, exterior and interior, build quality and general performance.

Suggested Improvements

Shorter shift throw, stiffer rear sway bar to keep rear better in line under aggressive cornering, another 20-30 horsepower, deeper drink holders, more powerful stock stereo with better speakers (perhaps a subwoofer in back to help with bass and tweeters up front for better highs).