2002 Mazda Protege Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:
Excellent ES 5 Speed
By ProES02 on 08/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

A very solidly built and very fun to drive.I test drove the Civic,Corolla,Sentra and Elantra GT but went back to the Protege ES because of the classy styling and excellent handling not found on the others.Also,with more standard equipment and the available ABS/Side Air bag/Moonroof option makes it a great deal.

mazda has a winner
By mazman on 08/02/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

my mazda dx protege kicks it, a nice little car that handles really nice. only time will tell if it's going to be reliable. I heard of some engine viberations when cold but nothing else negative. if any one has more information please let me know. I have an auto and it does alright.

Mazda Protege ES
By Buffalo on 08/01/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Great little car. Just purchased for my 18 year old daughter. Man is she getting comments about how great it looks. I drove it home for 50 miles from the dealership-what a Hoot to drive. Lots of power for this little ride. Sports suspension hugs the corners. Kids in California would love to get a hold of this one and turn it into a Fast and Furious 9 second qtr. turner. Great value for the buck.....

i like it a lot
By Joneser on 07/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I just picked up my new car last night and the smile has not left my face. Partially because it's a new car, and because I think that I got a really good deal. I picked up the 4-door LX auto, w/moon, alloys, cd, for @ $15,500.

My Protoge
By sendel74usa on 07/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had no problems with that car, have had it more than a year now, the only thing i have had to do is change the oil and rotate tires. Overall an excellent car!

This car rocks
By Anna Rudowski on 07/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The Mazda Protege is only second to one vehicle that I have driven before it. That vehicle would be a BMW 3 series. Other than that, this is the most fun car I have ever driven. The 5 spd manual transmission is easy and comfortable to drive. The price was also amazing. I would have easily paid much more money for this car, and it would have been worth it.

ES Protege Is A Great Choice
By TAURSHO1995 on 07/22/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I had the car for a few months now and am very pleased with the choice. Very sporty and stylish with a solid on-road feel and excellent reliability record.Everything is tighly put together....no rattles or squeaks anywhere to be found.Handles like it's on rails

Mazda Protege 2002 ES Standard
By Newcarbuyer on 07/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car for a month and love it. The ES is fully loaded, disk breaks, ABS, moon roof, CD, ft/sd airbags, wheel locks, cargo net, and alarm. This car spoils the driver with lavish comfort and exceptional safety. Not only does one receive all these extras, but they come at a very reasonable price. The drive, very stable due to its fully independent suspension but the standard is very touchy in low gears. As close as you can get to a miata with out tossing practicality out the window.

Protege a great compact
By Ray Moore on 07/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have driven the civic,sentra, and the corolla; in my mind the Protege is all in all a superior automobile. For the money and driving experience none of the other cars in this class can beat it. I am really impressed

Best compact sedan money can buy!!
By Jhatfi on 07/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car, plain and simple. I bought my 02' Protege ES because I had to downgrade in order to save money because of my new son. Its 2.0L motor is peppy for a 4 banger that allows for pretty easy passing and decent acceleration even up steep hill grades although another 20 horsepower would be appreciated. The interior is very nice and well laid out. The ES actually has a tight and solid feel of a higher priced car and handles great, although the supspension is a little stiff.