Used 2002 Mazda Protege Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mazda Protege - Consumer Reviews

2002 Mazda Protege Sedan

View reviews for a specific Protege model:

Transmission is great
By Agly

2002 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have a DX with a stick. It's better than 5sp on first generation Legacy, but worse than that on Civics. Seats are as good as those on Subaru and are WAY better than seats on Civics. Lateral support is okay.

Favorite Features

rathor sharp handling, great seat comfort, smooth transmission, sleek design, awesomely laid out controls, chilly A/C :-)

Suggested Improvements

I just wish it had an awesome Subaru AWD or at least RWD and the engine was in the back. Lateral support in front seats can be better still. Engine could be quieter. There could be more room made for the left driver's foot to rest.

Great Little Car with Character
By gege

Overall great value

Favorite Features

Fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

When shifting gears on my manual transmission, my arm keeps hitting the armrest storage comparment between the driver's and passenger's seat.

High Value budget sports sedan
By movieye

2002 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

In LA, with gas pushing past $2.50 a gallon, I decided to replace my 2000 BMW 325 with something fun to drive but economical. I was delighted to find a 2002 Protege ES with only 8800 miles on it at a Toyota dealership. 5-speed, moonroof, 6-CD stereo - the Protege is a blast to drive - much more responsive than the BMW! I wish it had leather but for the money, I can always add leather later. Great buy. I've seen people complain about its gas mileage, but I'm coming from a premium gas 6-cylinder BMW that drank $40/tank so this is a major improvement.

Favorite Features

Front end styling, dash ergonomics, stock stereo is pretty good, handling, shift is solid

Suggested Improvements

Rear end styling square compared to front, leather option - guess my next car will be the Mazda3!

my rating
By Mark Lester

2002 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I just wanted to SAY that i love my mazda. I'ts my first car and i'm glad i got it. You should get one to.

Suggested Improvements

i think that you'll shoud make the sound system a little bit louder.

Good buy...
By chrisfenl

2002 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I really enjoy my Protege and am glad I decided to purchase it. It has more power than other small sedans that I've driven, has very reponsive gas and break input, and handles incredibly well. The suspension is fairly tight, so you feel bumps more, but this also makes turning feel more stable. It's a great car, and I plan on holding onto mine for a long time.

Favorite Features

The performance and handling - it makes driving to the grocery store much more fun :)

Suggested Improvements

The fuel efficiency is pretty good, but I feel like they could have improved it a bit more - similar to what they've just done with the Mazda3. It looks like Mazda took the Protege's best aspects and made them even better.