Used 2002 Mazda Protege LX Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mazda Protege - Consumer Reviews

2002 Mazda Protege Sedan

View reviews for a specific Protege model:

This self biodegradable rust
By monsieurmarc1

2002 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This self biodegradable rust and so we do not see the rust when it is too late, it's awful, if you see surfaces with rosettes loan goest indicating the rear wheels of rust, the outline of wheels it is too later. One year after the car is good for parts, water ready driver's foot hole in the floor and in the trunk, too rusty to be repaired and this morning the windshield broke the rusty structure was break the fast, the car is good for parts, total loss caused by rust, the vehicle design is the cause it destroys itself, can resist the normal duration of a vehicle in a Canadian winter , calcium and abrasive on the roads

Passed down to me.
By devin994

2002 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

For the small amount of time that I've owned this car, it's absolutely fantastic! However, this car has been in our family ever since 2002. It has an automatic transmission and everything in the car is going strong even after 190,000 miles! This car has battled through many trips from New York to Florida and the only problem during all of those trips was that the driver's side window ceased to function. It was promptly fixed and works as good as new! The story on this car is that my parents had bought this vehicle new the year this came out. This car has mostly highway miles. 3 days a week, it travels 140 into the city and back home for the past 9 years. Never has it broken down!

Favorite Features

I love the way this car accelerates and handles. The modest 2.0 engine the Protege uses is a real champion! The low profile tires are a tad costly, but they look really good with the sporty style of the vehicle. Room and comfort in the front two bucket seats are great!

Suggested Improvements

In 2005, the radio one day just refused to work. The LCD panel wasn't working, and the volume controls just had a mind of it's own. Fortunately we had the radio replaced with a Sony X-Plod system and that unit brought out the true sound of the stock Mazda sound System. So perhaps a better head unit would be my only complaint about the Protege.

I love my little Mazda
By Margo

2002 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased new back in 2002, never had any issues. Love this little car. Made trips to Canada, back and forth from Maine to NY. Very reliable car. I am proud owner of my little Mazda, 9.1 reviews way to go! Engine running is very quiet like 8 years back! Transmission shifts, everything in order except my air cond was never strong, but I can forgive that! My daughter is driving it now while in a college and she loves it as well.

Suggested Improvements

Better CD player and clock on the front panel.

Overall I'm satisfied
By kid6281

2002 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have put more sets of tires on this car than I thought possible. Love the gas mileage both highway and city still, after 114,000 miles. Had remote start & XM installed, both were easy & still work great. Wish I would have gotten one with a spoiler and a different color (millennium mica red = rosy barf)

Favorite Features

Great for 2 people. The trunk is big compared to the overall vehicle size.

Suggested Improvements

Door locks flush with the body (can't stick arm out window without getting poked), cup holders in a better location (and more than 2), and a radio display that lasts longer than 3 years.

Great Car!
By Annie

2002 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car used with 25,000 miles on it and it now has 125,000 miles after 6 years. I have NEVER had a major mechanical issue with it (other than the AC about 6 months ago). It's the greatest car and i would recommend it to anyone looking for a cheap, fun, reliable car.

Favorite Features

It's fun to drive with pick up on the freeway (even after 125,000 miles)

Suggested Improvements

2 hubcaps fell off, but really, that's just cosmetic.