2002 Mazda Protege Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:
165K trouble free miles
By Ray on 08/27/10 23:35 PM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I can't say enough good things about this car. I'm still on the original clutch and original water pump. Just change the oil every 3,750 miles and perform the major service every 30K miles. Amazing car.

Fantastic Little Car
By Landric on 04/25/10 13:27 PM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 02 Protege ES new. It was a fantastic car, fun to drive, excellent handling, good performance, comfortable, decent gas mileage, great safety features, and completely reliable. I had the dealer find me an ES that had the ABS/Side Airbags/Power Sunroof package. Gas mileage on the highway hovered around 32 mpg, low 20's in city driving. The transmission shifted smoothly and easily, the engine reved up quickly and offered decent power. The real treat with this car is the handling, its fantastic, and especially nice with the sleeper looks. Its feels a lot faster and sportier than it is. I replaced the front brakes at 70k, 2 sets of tires, and oil changes. No problems in 115K.

GREEAAT CAR!!
By gerry on 11/14/09 14:13 PM (PST)

2002 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Just purchased 10/09. In beautiful condition. Well kept..runs,looks great. absolutely no problems. What a kick to drive. Has 200000 miles and runs like 20000 miles. Have a Sebring Conv,Chrysler T&C,Lincoln,and a Buick, and I would rather drive the Protege. Looking for another one.

2nd time around
By Mike on 06/15/09 04:31 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I needed a second car for the family and immediately suggested to find another '02 Protege. You cannot beat them. You can easily get 200k+ on these cars. Very reliable. Perfect car fo a teenager as a first car.

mazda ES protege
By xteban on 04/28/09 21:07 PM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I just bought this car yesterday, I was a big Honda fan that was all I had, but after 3 times that my cars being stolen I had to make a change and really the Mazda is a great car, soft ride compare to my 2000 civic ex, I love all the little details of this car, it's well worth buying this car!!!

153k And still tickin!
By brad on 12/29/08 12:56 PM (PST)

2002 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Update to an older review. I know this car will go to 250k+.I love this car, At 150k I had to do the timing belt, when i got it done the guy said this isnt your first one is it? I said yeah... he said you should have had 2 done already. The true cost of ownership on this car is really low. All I have done is the timing belt, water pump, oil, tires, rotors, just basic needs of a car. I would recommend this car to anyone I have had great success with it and bought my wife a Mazda 3

This car saved my life!
By Patrick on 09/26/08 15:36 PM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in May of 05 with only 23,000 miles on it but in Oct of 07 I was going to work and a deer ran out and hit my car just after buying very expensive winter tires. The funny part was that I made it home even after getting hit by a deer.

After 6 years it's still fun to drive!
By JimmyJam on 08/23/08 01:33 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned this car new since I just got out of college. I have revved the engine to redline on a regular basis (I have a stick), and maxed out at a top speed of over 140 mph (on the way to Vegas - note the throttle just shuts out till your speed drops down). I have to say that this is probably the best car I have ever owned for the price! I have only done quasi regular oil changes, one set of breaks, one set of tires, and a fluid/transmission flush, oh and a battery replacement, that's it! No lights or fuses have been replaced, I have never even replaced the batteries in my remote keyless! The spare set still looks brand new! She is paid off, and I am keeping her and getting a CX7!

Original owner, 113K miles
By Ray on 12/06/07 22:17 PM (PST)

2002 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've just made my final payment. I have had not a single problem with the car. In fact the first set of brake pads lasted 90K miles and I am on my 3rd set of tires. The combination of good fuel economy, bulletproof reliability, well appointed interior, and great handling make this car a winner. If you can find a used one that has been well maintained buy it, especially the ES model.

Should have bought a Civic
By canadiancarguy on 07/26/07 05:01 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We bought a 2.0 ES GT with a 5 spd brand new back in 01. The car was the best value in its class (for Japanese makes). Engine has always sounded rattley at start up, though this hasn't caused a real problem yet. The EGR valve needed replacement at about 60,000 kms. Now at 75,000 kms the alternator failed. These two problems don't bother me as much as the corrosion problems I have had with this car. I live in Toronto, and they use road salt heavily, but it is still no excuse for the amount of rust this thing has on it for its age. Every piece of metal attached to this car is rusty , body panels or any mechanical part. Even the horn has failed due to corrosion. Mazda is still behind the rest.