Used 2002 Mazda Protege DX Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mazda Protege Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:

Hard To Let her Go
By happygirl

2002 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

November 2002, I purchased my 2002 Mazda Protege. I have had no problems. She stands at 86,700 miles. Interior great still looks like new. I love my car and it is the 2nd one I have purchased. I used to own a 1998 Mazda Protege manual drove her to 134,000 miles without changing the gear shift. June 2010, I was rear ended on the highway while my car was in motion. She ended up with 1,160 dollar worth of damage and still drives great. It is a bit nerve racking as the new cars seem to have lots of electrical problems. I thought about buying a new Mazda but a bit nervous with all the electrics. Cars are not made the way they use to be. So do I hold on to my baby?

Everything

NONE, they need to make cars today less complicated and able to fix problems. Cars are for transportation we are not flying a 747 with movies to watch.

Excellent Used Car
By Jeff

2002 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this for my son. Have basically taken it over myself! Great car. Rides great, gets pretty good mileage and is really comfortable. Would recommend for anyone looking for reliable, quality used car. Better than my old civic!

Comfortable seating for 4 adults.

Improved mileage would be nice. However, very peppy for a 4 cylinder.

High quality, low price
By Colleen

2002 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is a reliable car! I've had this car for 7 years and have put 120,000 miles on it and I've never needed to get any repairs done. If you look at this car, there's nothing about it that would make you say "wow that's cool!" but it's reliable, spacious, handles well, comfortable, efficient, affordable, has good mpg, and when a friend spilled a slurpee on my fabric seats I discovered that they're stain resistant. A S2000 owner drove my car once and said "wow this little car handles well!"

spaciousness, comfort

The DX version does not have automatic door locks or windows. It sure would be nice to have those!

excellent car
By joel

2002 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car. Got it used but have had no problems with it. It has dual overhead cams which means a more powerful than average engine. Car handles very well and has enough power even with a full load of passengers and a full trunk. Get about 23 mpg in the city and about 29 mpg highway which isn't bad for a 2 liter engine.

Strong reliable engine and tranny.

Better fuel economy.

Flawless
By Viener Vanker

2002 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased new. No problems whatsoever. At 72,000 miles, still on original brakes. They never wear out.

Flawless reliability. Great performance with 5 speed manual. If I need another used, I'll look for another Protege.

V rated tires? On this car? A less expensive tire would have made more sense for this class of vehicle.