2002 Mazda Protege - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:
This self biodegradable rust
By monsieurmarc1 on 10/20/11 08:36 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This self biodegradable rust and so we do not see the rust when it is too late, it's awful, if you see surfaces with rosettes loan goest indicating the rear wheels of rust, the outline of wheels it is too later. One year after the car is good for parts, water ready driver's foot hole in the floor and in the trunk, too rusty to be repaired and this morning the windshield broke the rusty structure was break the fast, the car is good for parts, total loss caused by rust, the vehicle design is the cause it destroys itself, can resist the normal duration of a vehicle in a Canadian winter , calcium and abrasive on the roads

Passed down to me.
By devin994 on 06/22/11 21:14 PM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

For the small amount of time that I've owned this car, it's absolutely fantastic! However, this car has been in our family ever since 2002. It has an automatic transmission and everything in the car is going strong even after 190,000 miles! This car has battled through many trips from New York to Florida and the only problem during all of those trips was that the driver's side window ceased to function. It was promptly fixed and works as good as new! The story on this car is that my parents had bought this vehicle new the year this came out. This car has mostly highway miles. 3 days a week, it travels 140 into the city and back home for the past 9 years. Never has it broken down!

165K trouble free miles
By Ray on 08/27/10 23:35 PM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I can't say enough good things about this car. I'm still on the original clutch and original water pump. Just change the oil every 3,750 miles and perform the major service every 30K miles. Amazing car.

I love my little Mazda
By Margo on 08/23/10 20:03 PM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased new back in 2002, never had any issues. Love this little car. Made trips to Canada, back and forth from Maine to NY. Very reliable car. I am proud owner of my little Mazda, 9.1 reviews way to go! Engine running is very quiet like 8 years back! Transmission shifts, everything in order except my air cond was never strong, but I can forgive that! My daughter is driving it now while in a college and she loves it as well.

Hard To Let her Go
By happygirl on 07/17/10 15:36 PM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

November 2002, I purchased my 2002 Mazda Protege. I have had no problems. She stands at 86,700 miles. Interior great still looks like new. I love my car and it is the 2nd one I have purchased. I used to own a 1998 Mazda Protege manual drove her to 134,000 miles without changing the gear shift. June 2010, I was rear ended on the highway while my car was in motion. She ended up with 1,160 dollar worth of damage and still drives great. It is a bit nerve racking as the new cars seem to have lots of electrical problems. I thought about buying a new Mazda but a bit nervous with all the electrics. Cars are not made the way they use to be. So do I hold on to my baby?

Overall I'm satisfied
By kid6281 on 05/21/10 09:47 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have put more sets of tires on this car than I thought possible. Love the gas mileage both highway and city still, after 114,000 miles. Had remote start & XM installed, both were easy & still work great. Wish I would have gotten one with a spoiler and a different color (millennium mica red = rosy barf)

Fantastic Little Car
By Landric on 04/25/10 13:27 PM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 02 Protege ES new. It was a fantastic car, fun to drive, excellent handling, good performance, comfortable, decent gas mileage, great safety features, and completely reliable. I had the dealer find me an ES that had the ABS/Side Airbags/Power Sunroof package. Gas mileage on the highway hovered around 32 mpg, low 20's in city driving. The transmission shifted smoothly and easily, the engine reved up quickly and offered decent power. The real treat with this car is the handling, its fantastic, and especially nice with the sleeper looks. Its feels a lot faster and sportier than it is. I replaced the front brakes at 70k, 2 sets of tires, and oil changes. No problems in 115K.

Great Car!
By Annie on 02/17/10 13:51 PM (PST)

2002 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car used with 25,000 miles on it and it now has 125,000 miles after 6 years. I have NEVER had a major mechanical issue with it (other than the AC about 6 months ago). It's the greatest car and i would recommend it to anyone looking for a cheap, fun, reliable car.

Love it
By Carla on 12/07/09 14:07 PM (PST)

2002 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My Mazda Protege 2002 is the best car i have ever had. I will never go back to another car in my life. Everything about this car is wonderful. Nothing as gone wrong since i have purchased it. This car is worth buying!!!!

164,000 and going strong
By Deb on 11/27/09 14:20 PM (PST)

2002 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My protege has been very reliable. I have kept up with changing the oil every 3000 miles and change the other fluids as scheduled. When I first purchased the car, I'd crank the engine and couldn't hear it running. Now many miles later, I can hear just a small purr. I've had no transmission problems and no problems that have left me stranded. I'm hoping this car will last til over 200k and then I'm buying another Mazda.