2001 Mazda Protege Consumer Review: My Protege two years later

2001 Mazda Protege - Consumer Review

My Protege two years later
By totustuus00 on

2001 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the Protege after driving most of the competition (Corolla, Civic, Sentra). The Mazda felt tighter, handled better and had better brakes. It has been reliable to a fault. I now have almost 40k on the car and it is still running good. I had to put new pads front and back recently and replaced the tires. The 16" Dunlops are next to impossible to find, so I upgraded one size to 205/55/16 Fulda's. The car rides a bit better on these tires. The only faults are that with the wide 16" wheels, it can be a terror to drive in the snow and the gas mileage could be better (25 to 28 typical with automatic)

Styling, handling, braking. Good low end torque with 2 liter engine. Seats are comfortable.

Gas mileage isn't great. Oil filter is a pain to get to. Car is a little loud on the expressway, but tolerable (when compared to my wife's Accord EX) Had to buy brake pads from Dealer because nobody carries pads for the 4 wheel disc brake ES model, Ouch!