2001 Mazda Protege Consumer Review: I can't justify replacing it

2001 Mazda Protege - Consumer Review

I can't justify replacing it
By 200kcarsonly on

2001 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have zero regrets about keeping this car for 130K. I have had to put new struts on it to rejuvenate the ride but it was worth the expense. If you are looking for one, I suggest trying to find an ES because it has ABS and side airbags. The ABS saved me from a collision once for sure. If I am going to drive around in a little car I need a few modern safety features. The ES does require more expensive tires but Kumho makes a tire that fits the ES rim that has been a decent tire me. Unfortunately, this car is not good in snow with the factory rims/ tires. I bought snow tires on steel rims to put on in winter when the car was in Wisconsin.

Steering and handling are excellent for an inexpensive car. Great seats with lots of adjustablitiy.

The 5th gear is to small as it revs rather high at 70 MPH. If you need to drive really fast for long trips like in the western states you may not like this car as much as I do. Unfortunately, this car is not good in snow with the factory rims/ tires. I bought snow tires on steel rims when I had the car in Wisconsin for 4 years.