Used 2001 Mazda Protege Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Mazda Protege - Consumer Reviews

2001 Mazda Protege

View reviews for a specific Protege model:

Most Helpful|
The 1990-1994 Proteges are better
By ProtegeOwner

2001 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

The new Mazda Proteges are ok...but they are way underpowered. I have a 1994 DX which is a 1.8L SOHC 4 cylinder. My SOHC engine, which is only 103hp just right out murders the 1.6L DOHC engine thats in the new Proteges. I was very disappointed in the 1.6L when I test drove it. That engine had no pep or pick up at all. Whats with all that Zoom Zoom talk when the new Proteges do not have any?!?!. The First Generation Proteges are far better than the new ones.

Not that Great
By protege666

2001 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I just paid off my Protege and I am sooo ready for a different car. I bought it for the four door and fuel economy aspect. Those two things aren't disappointing...pretty much everything else was...teh electronics were always if-y and the drivers seat kills your back...theseat belts in the back have all but ceased to function. It's just NOT THAT GREAT of a car.

Favorite Features

The steering wheel is cute, and there is plenty of trunk space.

Suggested Improvements

The electronic system is not good (i.e. clock/cd display and so on)

A car for an average driver to have fun!
By Still Mazda fan...

2001 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car works marvelously. Steering and Breaks!!! are unseen in this class and up Altima/Solara level. As the car feels powerless, the above features are enhanced. However, the little things that makes a car luxurious lacks (3 speed wiper, no vanity lights, no arm rest etc.) If you're considering this car, you have to understand that you're paying the same or more than Carola/Sentra just for the steering and breaks. If you can live without power and the little things, you will love ES!!!

Favorite Features

Steering!!! and Breaks!!!

Suggested Improvements

Try to create luxurious atmospher without more cost, if Mazda can...

I must have bought the lemon
By FFEJY

2001 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

It actually a Protege 5 For the price, its a great deal. However as of 30,00km I've already had the flywheel and clutch replaced, the suspension sqeeks, tranny really clunks and the seat rails are seized. I think Mazda has the right idea but forgot a few details. Oh ya according to the dealer I'm an idiot because there nothing wrong with my Protege 5

Favorite Features

Great interior, handles well, lots of feature for the price

Suggested Improvements

Dealers service departmen, and the transmission and all parts attached to it.

Great car for the most part
By bond_fanatic18

2001 Mazda Protege LX 2.0 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My dad bought a gold '01 Protege brand new when I was a kid. It was never driven much, mainly used as a backup car. When I got my licence it was my ride to high school and in general as I hated driving my mother's van. I drove it for a year before my dad traded it for a 2012 Honda CR-V. It did its job fine, got me to school and back without fuss, was fun to drive with the 5-speed and great on gas. The only problem I had was the alternator crapping out in the middle of the freeway and I had to have it towed. Apart from that it was pretty reliable. I'd recommend it, just watch out for rust problems and keep it to a meticulous maintenance schedule. Also not the best car to learn stick on.

Favorite Features

On a good day the ride was actually pretty good despite the stick shift. It was pretty fast with the 2.0 and handled great. It was a good commuter car for a high school student. It was also quite roomy, I'm 6'4 and fit just fine and it had room for 3 friends in the back and wasn't too bad on an hour long road trip. No major problems except the alternator, nothing about the rods, struts or anything like a lot of reviews I've read. It's a fine first car as long as you take care of it

Suggested Improvements

Not the best car to learn stick on. The clutch is touchy and the car itself didn't take too kindly to me at first. I learned in driver's ed and we got along better. Watch the original parts as the alternator that died hadn't been changed. Also watch out for rust. Proteges have been notorious for rust problems and ours was no exception, that's partly why we got rid of it. The ride was pretty bumpy at times, when my dad got the CR-V all my friends said they didn't miss the Mazda and TBH, I didn't either. I guess I just have higher standards with cars.