2001 Mazda Protege - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:
Great car for the most part
By bond_fanatic18 on 05/17/13 19:26 PM (PDT)

2001 Mazda Protege LX 2.0 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My dad bought a gold '01 Protege brand new when I was a kid. It was never driven much, mainly used as a backup car. When I got my licence it was my ride to high school and in general as I hated driving my mother's van. I drove it for a year before my dad traded it for a 2012 Honda CR-V. It did its job fine, got me to school and back without fuss, was fun to drive with the 5-speed and great on gas. The only problem I had was the alternator crapping out in the middle of the freeway and I had to have it towed. Apart from that it was pretty reliable. I'd recommend it, just watch out for rust problems and keep it to a meticulous maintenance schedule. Also not the best car to learn stick on.

I can't justify replacing it
By 200kcarsonly on 07/01/12 16:08 PM (PDT)

2001 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have zero regrets about keeping this car for 130K. I have had to put new struts on it to rejuvenate the ride but it was worth the expense. If you are looking for one, I suggest trying to find an ES because it has ABS and side airbags. The ABS saved me from a collision once for sure. If I am going to drive around in a little car I need a few modern safety features. The ES does require more expensive tires but Kumho makes a tire that fits the ES rim that has been a decent tire me. Unfortunately, this car is not good in snow with the factory rims/ tires. I bought snow tires on steel rims to put on in winter when the car was in Wisconsin.

Decent Car
By shizzel12 on 07/16/11 20:50 PM (PDT)

2001 Mazda Protege LX 2.0 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Good quick car to get around the city and beat other cars to a parking spot. handles good and can take tight turns that you couldnt do with most vehicles. For a 4 cylinder this car can move when you need it to. Most 4 cylinders dont have the best highway driving but this car accelerates good at higher speeds and passes with ease. I dont recommend it though if you will only be using it for highway driving because the ride is a little bumpy. I dont really care much for the mpg because for a car this size you expect it to have better gas. When i bought this car i was a little skepticle but it turned out to do what i needed it to do and i gave i just sold it in good condition with 173000 miles.

My 2nd Protege
By CR on 04/25/10 16:26 PM (PDT)

2001 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Of all the purchasing decisions I have made in my life, choosing the 2001 Protege 5-speed DX has probably been my single best decision. I bought it used with 64k miles; it looks and runs the same after 96k miles. Replaced brakes, shocks and battery when I bought it, timing belt and other belts just now. Nothing else. My two longevity tips: use synthetic oil and hand-wax it. The only issues: The famous digital clock problem expanded to the entire radio, which now fails to operate. More road noise than I'd prefer on the highway. First signs of rust showing near the wheel wells, probably from winter salt.

GOING TO MISS HER
By Willowbefree on 01/07/10 19:57 PM (PST)

2001 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've loved this car for the past 9 years that I have owned it. The tires have been the greatest disappointment...expensive to replace when I had to replace them after the first 30,000 miles. (Dunlop has a set that fits and lasts much longer...however still at $120.00/piece) Zoom zoom zoom is very true..I love this car during the summer here in WI..it grips the roads and I can fly! In the winter I need to change modes and respect what the season brings. I love the 60/40 back seat split as I take my xc skis and boating gear with me often. Overall, I'm going to miss my Mazda and hope my "new" Subaru treats me 1/2 as good. (needed room for more gear and a puppy)

The Best Car I've ever owned
By queenb on 12/18/09 12:05 PM (PST)

2001 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have always loved the Protege. This one has over 165k and is still going strong. Makes me say "zoom zoom" every time I go around a corner fast. Never had a problem with it, it has never been in the shop for anything other than routine care. Everything still works great. No electrical problems at all. Someone just hit it, how do I part with the best car ever?

Fantastic fit and finish
By Scott on 09/20/08 18:07 PM (PDT)

2001 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned plenty of cars over the years and know good fit and finish when I see it. This Protege' is top notch. The five speed transmission is as crisp as any Miata. Fuel economy is in the low 30s. If you are in the market for a reliable, good looking economical sedan this may be your car. I like it so much I'm now looking for a pristine 03' Protege' 5.

way to rusty
By nannyp on 09/06/08 15:28 PM (PDT)

2001 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Overall my Mazda performs well, but body rust is a BIG problem. I only have 100,000 KM on it but it started to rust the 3rd year I had it. I had a special rust coating applied at the time of purchase but the dealership will not honor it until there are holes in the body. For that reason I will not buy another Mazda.

My Protege
By MedinaC29 on 07/22/08 11:48 AM (PDT)

2001 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car. I bought it used with 48,000 mi. Now it has 115,100 mi. It is so great on gas and now with gas prices being almost $4.00 I am not feeling as much pain as others. I've had minor problems, unexpected issues but other than that I am satisfied with it. I've added a couple of different things to it like, a spoiler, euro carbon fiber tail lights, wind visors, tinted windows etc. I also replaced the radio because the factory radio was messing up on me big time. You would press clock and it would show the CD track # and vice versa. So I replaced it. Just recently got a new paint job and it looks even better!

Great Car
By LOUIE on 07/05/08 22:29 PM (PDT)

2001 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I love my Protege I bought it for 3500 and it was worth it, I though it would have problems after so many miles but to this date I have only replaced the fan belts. It really could use a 6th gear, but over all I love my car! Great air condition the only little problem it has is where the clock is the numbers fade.