Used 2001 Mazda Protege Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Mazda Protege Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:

Protege 01 ES w/GT
By dapplegrey

2001 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I am very very happy with this car. I have not had any problems with it, other than the usual wear and tear and hope to enjoy it for many years to come. I would not hesitate to buy another.

Moonroof, sound system is surprisingly decent.

Better service provided by dealership after vehicle purchase.

By kurtb34

2001 Mazda Protege Sedan MP3 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love it, it's fun to drive and dependable (so far). Only one minor problem. Great online support community, too.

Handling

Turbo

I love my Protege.
By Supergirl

2001 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

This car drives beautifully. My friend just got a new Accord and he still prefers to drive my car because of the smooth transmission. Great sound system. Nice design inside and out. And while it drives smoothly, when I'm in a pinch and need to move, I push that pedal down and it surprises me. Good for driving comfortably or tearing through traffic like a nut. This car is so much more than I expected.

Beautiful, Reliable, Great sound system, Smooth Transmission, Great gas mileage.

Cruise control would be nice. Maybe cup holders in the back.

My Protege two years later
By totustuus00

2001 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the Protege after driving most of the competition (Corolla, Civic, Sentra). The Mazda felt tighter, handled better and had better brakes. It has been reliable to a fault. I now have almost 40k on the car and it is still running good. I had to put new pads front and back recently and replaced the tires. The 16" Dunlops are next to impossible to find, so I upgraded one size to 205/55/16 Fulda's. The car rides a bit better on these tires. The only faults are that with the wide 16" wheels, it can be a terror to drive in the snow and the gas mileage could be better (25 to 28 typical with automatic)

Styling, handling, braking. Good low end torque with 2 liter engine. Seats are comfortable.

Gas mileage isn't great. Oil filter is a pain to get to. Car is a little loud on the expressway, but tolerable (when compared to my wife's Accord EX) Had to buy brake pads from Dealer because nobody carries pads for the 4 wheel disc brake ES model, Ouch!

Best Bang for the Buck!
By nyminutes

2001 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Fun to drive, well made car with vroom , thats less than $15k. Get the 5 speed, very smooth. The handling on this car is excellent, better than many sports sedans selling for 25k+! The fit finish/reliability is better than any JapanMexOhiocan from Honda, Nissan or Toyota. Lets face it, how many older 1's of those do u see out there lately??? You still see many older Protege's though, still made in Hiroshima by workers whos average tenure with the company is 21 years! The only downside to the car is resale value, but if u want a great car, that u can beat on trouble-free for 100k+ miles, this is the car.

Handling, 5 speed is silky smooth, 3yr/50k warranty

More horsepower, clear tailight lens option