Used 2001 Mazda Protege Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Mazda Protege - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:

Improvement was needed on the MP3
By Sphantomk

2001 Mazda Protege MP3 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car. I wanted one from the day it came out on the lot. After I got one though I had to admit that everyone was right. It needed more power. So I got my hands on a 2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege that was wrecked by a rear end collision with only 1k miles on the car. Took the full turbo kit and put it on my MP3. The MP3 now has just over 200 horsepower at the wheels. The car is now perfect!

The stance, suspension, the car...

Needed the Mazdaspeed turbo that I put on it.

A Fun to Drive Bargain
By Flying_M

2001 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Protege in 2001 near the end of the season. I really enjoy driving this car. It holds the road well and is really fun to drive. I love the slick shifting 5 speed manual and the steering response. It has decent acceleration for a 2.0 liter and can really be thrown into corners. The interior space is a little smaller than some competitors and the seats are not comfortable for long trips. The only two complaints I have are the tires and CD player. The original tires wore too quickly (30k) and did not grip as well as the replacements do. The LCD on the CD players is sometimes missing pieces of numbers, making it hard to read. This happened after it was out of warranty.

Smooth shifting manual transmission, great handling, sporty looks, and easy to reach radio controls.

Seats are a bit uncomfortable on long trips (bottom cushion is too short). Tilt steering is hard to access. Many trim panels feel cheap. The original tires (Bridgestone Potenzas) wore too quickly and did not handle as well as many other "V" rated tires.

My Protege
By R. Glass

2001 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I LOVE my Protege. I purchased it brand new (5/01). I've put 76K miles on it and ABSOLUTELY no problems! Only oil changes & I did the timing belt & water pump at 60K as recommended.

2.0L engine is the BEST! It makes a huge difference in the pick up of the vehicle getting on & off the highway.

I have the low profile/high performance tires & almost had heart failure when I had to buy new tires - very very expensive! However, I still LOVE the car!

Great car...
By StuttersC

2001 Mazda Protege MP3 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car brand new. I haven't had any issues with the car. Mazda made a good move in bringing this car to the market which opened the door to the Mazdaspeed brand in the US. The chasis is stiff and can handle just about anything you throw at it.

Handling, solid feel.

More power. And the turbo I put on did the trick.

This car makes me grin.
By WriterGuy

2001 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The protege is a blast to drive. Its chassis responses are smooth and quick, and the steering is nicely weighted. Only problems have been the EGR valve, which stuck and caused a stalling problem, the brakes, which tend to squeal (but stop amazingly well), and the clutch, which has some chatter in cold weather. My protege has 60k miles on it and still feels new.

Steering. Brakes. Style--this car looks great. Roomy interior.

AC could be colder. Would be nice if less tire and wind noise entered the cabin. Could use taller 5th gear (engine winds out to 3500rpm at 70mph). Shifter could be more precise. Oil filter is difficult to get at (under intake manifold by the firewall).

• SUV