Used 2001 Mazda Protege Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Mazda Protege - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:

My Protege
By R. Glass

2001 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I LOVE my Protege. I purchased it brand new (5/01). I've put 76K miles on it and ABSOLUTELY no problems! Only oil changes & I did the timing belt & water pump at 60K as recommended.

2.0L engine is the BEST! It makes a huge difference in the pick up of the vehicle getting on & off the highway.

I have the low profile/high performance tires & almost had heart failure when I had to buy new tires - very very expensive! However, I still LOVE the car!

Great car...
By StuttersC

2001 Mazda Protege MP3 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car brand new. I haven't had any issues with the car. Mazda made a good move in bringing this car to the market which opened the door to the Mazdaspeed brand in the US. The chasis is stiff and can handle just about anything you throw at it.

Handling, solid feel.

More power. And the turbo I put on did the trick.

This car makes me grin.
By WriterGuy

2001 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The protege is a blast to drive. Its chassis responses are smooth and quick, and the steering is nicely weighted. Only problems have been the EGR valve, which stuck and caused a stalling problem, the brakes, which tend to squeal (but stop amazingly well), and the clutch, which has some chatter in cold weather. My protege has 60k miles on it and still feels new.

Steering. Brakes. Style--this car looks great. Roomy interior.

AC could be colder. Would be nice if less tire and wind noise entered the cabin. Could use taller 5th gear (engine winds out to 3500rpm at 70mph). Shifter could be more precise. Oil filter is difficult to get at (under intake manifold by the firewall).

Reliability Problems!
By jdwilkin

2001 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I had hoped that the good looks and performance of the Protege would be matched by Japanese reliability. No such luck. Had to replace engine (rod bearing)at 80k. Transmission repair at 81k. Have done rear brakes 3 times and rear links twice already - fronts once. (@ 94k now)Strut failed at 85k. Dealer and Mazda have both avoided any/all responsibility for problems...even while under warranty. Very dissappointing purchase.

Tight suspension, strong braking, nice seats and interior for econo box.

reliability! Better engine, gearbox.

Bugdet Beemer!
By therealdeal

2001 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased this car new in 2001, initially impressed with fit and finish, sharp ride and handling, good braking. It whines on the highway at 3500rpm in 5th gear going 120km/h (a 6th gear would help) The 2.0 litre engine has more potential and at a conservative 130 hp, it chews up more gas than it should. With 83000 km on the clickler, I've since had minor corrosion around the tops of the door frames, my brakes are squeaking, tires are balled, the manual shifter is choppy after starting in cold weather until I warm it up, The radio display is starting to fade in and out, dealer service personel need help identifying problems!

Initial quality, zippy ride for the buck, standard cd player, factory speakers are adequate, interior room, ergonomics, simple controls/displays, BIG exterior brake lights, dependable engine.

6th gear is a must in manual tranny, fuel economy, driver seat lumbar needs more support, wiper speeds are too basic, wheels/tires rare for the type, Built in Hiroshima! is my car radio- active??