2001 Mazda Protege - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:
Zoom Zoom
By Mine 00 on 06/22/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mazda Protege MP3 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Well I have recently purchased the Mazda ES GT [in Canada] which with out a doubt the best econosport vehicle that I have driven. I tried the Nissan Sentra, Honda Civic [Coupe], Acura Integra and others in its class but non compare in price and feel. The ES GT is the invigerates the soul and sooths the spirit. This car in my books is in a class of its own.

The 1990-1994 Proteges are better
By ProtegeOwner on 06/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

The new Mazda Proteges are ok...but they are way underpowered. I have a 1994 DX which is a 1.8L SOHC 4 cylinder. My SOHC engine, which is only 103hp just right out murders the 1.6L DOHC engine thats in the new Proteges. I was very disappointed in the 1.6L when I test drove it. That engine had no pep or pick up at all. Whats with all that Zoom Zoom talk when the new Proteges do not have any?!?!. The First Generation Proteges are far better than the new ones.

Excellent Small Car
By boggse on 05/31/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is simply a great car. The handling is otherworldly in such an inexpensive automobile. The cargo room and passenger room are perfect. The seat comfort is perfect, especially compared to the Focus. The engine is great in spite of being a little underpowered for the suspension. I have no real complaints, only praise.

zoom-zoom
By JetsToBrazil on 05/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

this thing moves! I've never had more fun in a car before. So far, so good, it's pretty new and all but nothing is wrong and I have no complaints at all at this time, if I think of any, I'll let you know...but its fast and it hauls a$$

I love my Protege
By Fatima Oliveira on 05/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

For the price of the car, you are getting a great car compared to the sentra and the civic. It handles great. Great design on interior and exterior with lots of room.

Protege steps to the plate.
By Chuckie on 04/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The Protege needed a face lift. Here it is! Civics were murdering the market but now it seems Mazda has something to compete with. This youthful vehicle drives smooth and comfortably with room for five. The appeal is not only to the low income single home family. It appeals to all who have ideals of street racing or the savy to drive through town screaming "Hey look at me! Sexy as I wanna be." Young adults as well as older individuals feel spirited when they get behind the wheel. Mazda hit a homerun this year.

"Cheapest Super Car"
By PY on 04/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mazda Protege MP3 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Trying to push this car to it's limit but seem like this car have no limit. The MP3 body is good enough to handle a 300 hp or up engine.

I agree with everybody else!
By randomo on 04/05/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Wow, is the handling great! Tight, zippy -- just crisp, clean fun. Too bad they couldn't have given it more horses. I test drove a Protege LX a few years ago, and it was woefully underpowered; the much bigger engine in this ES seemed as if it would overcome that hurdle. Sad to say, it needs to go into 4th gear well before 40 mph, and into 5th in the high 40s. It strains a bit to maintain 65-70 on highways where that is the dominant speed of traffic flow. Give this car a 6th gear and you'd have something truly great! ;-) My only other concern is the dashboard illumination. The red glow works great in the dark, but at dusk the instruments are hard to read.

nice car good value
By protege jim on 03/23/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

The car is a real gas saver,I have had up to 42w/mpg I like the car best of all no trips back to the dealer for any thing.A nice little car for the money.

Hind sight says I made a fine pick!
By JT99 on 03/07/02 12:37 PM (PST)

2001 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Two thumbs up with my Mazda Protege ES-GT model. Lots of time and thought went into the purchase and we did good. We started looking at the Protege5 but supply and demand didn't work in our favour so we managed to negotiate much better terms for the ES sedan, with the GT package to jazz it up as much as we could. Seven months later, I'm still grinning ear to ear as I love this car.