2001 Mazda Protege Consumer Review: 2001 Protege ES

2001 Mazda Protege - Consumer Review

ES Sedan (2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

2001 Protege ES
By Somsun on

2001 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I recently purchased a 2001 Protege ES via private sale with 24k miles. I know from experience that Mazdas just go and go. I owned a 1987 323 and as a second owner, it carried me well into the 200,000 mile stretch. I love the styling most of all about the '01 Protege ES. I look out at it in my driveway and smile; I like it so much! I love the interior styling and roominess of the ES. I drove a few co- workers and myself to lunch today and they commented how much leg room there was in the back seat. I like the spoiler because it helps me gauge where I am when backing out or into a parking space. Overall, for the quality and price it can't be beat.

I might mention that when unlocking the car with the remote, to get ALL of the doors to unlock, you must press the "unlock" button twice. I found that one out today when I noticed that only the driver side door unlocked when I press it once, then they all unlock when I press it twice.

It would be ideal if the steering wheel could telescope towards the driver, not just move up and down. Additional intermittent wiper blade modes please. The 4-speaker stereo/CD is "ok". The arm rest is basically nonexistent. The air circulation button works only when it wants to.