2001 Mazda Protege Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:
way to rusty
By nannyp on 09/06/08 15:28 PM (PDT)

2001 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Overall my Mazda performs well, but body rust is a BIG problem. I only have 100,000 KM on it but it started to rust the 3rd year I had it. I had a special rust coating applied at the time of purchase but the dealership will not honor it until there are holes in the body. For that reason I will not buy another Mazda.

My Protege
By MedinaC29 on 07/22/08 11:48 AM (PDT)

2001 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car. I bought it used with 48,000 mi. Now it has 115,100 mi. It is so great on gas and now with gas prices being almost $4.00 I am not feeling as much pain as others. I've had minor problems, unexpected issues but other than that I am satisfied with it. I've added a couple of different things to it like, a spoiler, euro carbon fiber tail lights, wind visors, tinted windows etc. I also replaced the radio because the factory radio was messing up on me big time. You would press clock and it would show the CD track # and vice versa. So I replaced it. Just recently got a new paint job and it looks even better!

Great Car
By LOUIE on 07/05/08 22:29 PM (PDT)

2001 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I love my Protege I bought it for 3500 and it was worth it, I though it would have problems after so many miles but to this date I have only replaced the fan belts. It really could use a 6th gear, but over all I love my car! Great air condition the only little problem it has is where the clock is the numbers fade.

Great car
By Zuumer on 04/10/08 19:46 PM (PDT)

2001 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Protege new and have had very little trouble with it. I usually get 32-33 mpg on the highway (occasionally 35-36) and 25 in the city. It accelerates well and handles great. Plenty of head room and great visibility. Sunroof still works perfectly after 7 years, no leaks. CD player's LCD screen often goes partially blank until I push on it. Right rear door power lock broke around 60k. Replacement tires (195 55 15) are expensive.

Mazda Good, but Needs Improvement
By Freebird on 08/02/07 19:28 PM (PDT)

2001 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Quality car, with great handling, solid build quality and lots of interior room. Handles like a $25000 sports car. This is a reliable car with great mpg. Problems include constant idle shake, LR power lock went at 65000 miles All 4 suspension links failed around 80000 miles. Come on Mazda! Suspension is also a bit jostly on bumps. Seats are also uncomfortable on long trips. Trunk is too small.

Unbelievable car for the money
By nyminute on 06/01/07 21:29 PM (PDT)

2001 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I have a 2001 Protege LX 2.0 with a 5 speed, bought it Sept. 01. It has over 150,000 miles and still runs great. But what's really incredible about this car is it still gets 30 MPG on the highway and other than brakes, tires, timing belt (which you should do before 120K) and an oil change every 8-10K miles, it has not been one single problem! Never in the shop, never on the side of the road, starts right up every day for almost 6 years and still runs like a champ! Same battery even!. Great car, if you can get one with the optional 2.0, buy it!

2001 Mazda Protege LX - Minor Problems
By kevin111 on 07/16/06 21:30 PM (PDT)

2001 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Quality compact with excellent fuel mileage. 35 mpg on a trip with automatic and the air on. Overdrive sips gas. Tight build quality. Great handling. Impressive interior room. Stylish exterior design. Relatively quiet except when engine is pushed. Very compliant ride. Quality car but Toyota Corolla or Honda Civic might be better.

A Fun to Drive Bargain
By Flying_M on 08/29/05 11:48 AM (PDT)

2001 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Protege in 2001 near the end of the season. I really enjoy driving this car. It holds the road well and is really fun to drive. I love the slick shifting 5 speed manual and the steering response. It has decent acceleration for a 2.0 liter and can really be thrown into corners. The interior space is a little smaller than some competitors and the seats are not comfortable for long trips. The only two complaints I have are the tires and CD player. The original tires wore too quickly (30k) and did not grip as well as the replacements do. The LCD on the CD players is sometimes missing pieces of numbers, making it hard to read. This happened after it was out of warranty.

Bugdet Beemer!
By therealdeal on 06/28/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased this car new in 2001, initially impressed with fit and finish, sharp ride and handling, good braking. It whines on the highway at 3500rpm in 5th gear going 120km/h (a 6th gear would help) The 2.0 litre engine has more potential and at a conservative 130 hp, it chews up more gas than it should. With 83000 km on the clickler, I've since had minor corrosion around the tops of the door frames, my brakes are squeaking, tires are balled, the manual shifter is choppy after starting in cold weather until I warm it up, The radio display is starting to fade in and out, dealer service personel need help identifying problems!

Great for a first car or for a new feel
By Kushiaji on 02/18/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I just recently purchased my '01 Protege, so I may seem biased by posting a review quickly. However, it was one of two vehicles and the Protege was the one I prefered NOT to have. After a day I noticed the ride was smooth, the interior console was sleek, and it has a style of class all it's own. For those who want a car no one else really has, this will make you stand out with shimmering beauty. I recommend this to anyone looking for more quality per buck.