2001 Mazda Protege Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:
I can't justify replacing it
By 200kcarsonly on 07/01/12 16:08 PM (PDT)

2001 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have zero regrets about keeping this car for 130K. I have had to put new struts on it to rejuvenate the ride but it was worth the expense. If you are looking for one, I suggest trying to find an ES because it has ABS and side airbags. The ABS saved me from a collision once for sure. If I am going to drive around in a little car I need a few modern safety features. The ES does require more expensive tires but Kumho makes a tire that fits the ES rim that has been a decent tire me. Unfortunately, this car is not good in snow with the factory rims/ tires. I bought snow tires on steel rims to put on in winter when the car was in Wisconsin.

GOING TO MISS HER
By Willowbefree on 01/07/10 19:57 PM (PST)

2001 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've loved this car for the past 9 years that I have owned it. The tires have been the greatest disappointment...expensive to replace when I had to replace them after the first 30,000 miles. (Dunlop has a set that fits and lasts much longer...however still at $120.00/piece) Zoom zoom zoom is very true..I love this car during the summer here in WI..it grips the roads and I can fly! In the winter I need to change modes and respect what the season brings. I love the 60/40 back seat split as I take my xc skis and boating gear with me often. Overall, I'm going to miss my Mazda and hope my "new" Subaru treats me 1/2 as good. (needed room for more gear and a puppy)

The Best Car I've ever owned
By queenb on 12/18/09 12:05 PM (PST)

2001 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have always loved the Protege. This one has over 165k and is still going strong. Makes me say "zoom zoom" every time I go around a corner fast. Never had a problem with it, it has never been in the shop for anything other than routine care. Everything still works great. No electrical problems at all. Someone just hit it, how do I part with the best car ever?

Fantastic fit and finish
By Scott on 09/20/08 18:07 PM (PDT)

2001 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned plenty of cars over the years and know good fit and finish when I see it. This Protege' is top notch. The five speed transmission is as crisp as any Miata. Fuel economy is in the low 30s. If you are in the market for a reliable, good looking economical sedan this may be your car. I like it so much I'm now looking for a pristine 03' Protege' 5.

Love my Protege
By Zoom Zoomer on 04/16/08 11:36 AM (PDT)

2001 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Hands-down, this has been the very best car I've ever owned and driven (and I've owned 5-6 other vehicles). The gas mileage on trips exceeded the expected number. I've hauled dirt, plants and lumber in this thing. It goes on long trips with winding wet roads and steep inclines. It has been driven "off road", and has taken a beating over the last several years (2 hail storms, 2 hits, juvenile delinquency carvings). All that and it is still great looking and great moving. Zoom Zoom Zoom. I want another one, and am less thrilled with the Mazda 3 and 6.

Mazda missed some small stuff
By CoronaRob on 05/12/07 04:13 AM (PDT)

2001 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

A fun and sporty car to drive. Replaced a '90 Protege. The 16" tires are nice but the originals (Dunlaps) only lasted 30K. Bought replacements online (Kuhomo) that are 2x better at half the cost. Could use a 6th gear or taller 5th with 3500 rpm @ 70mph the hwy mileage is low 30s. Cup holders only in front and are terrible. No variable setting on the wipers. A lot of road noise (just like the '90). Would have liked a trunk release on the remote. There should have been a power lock switch on the passenger side. Even with the shortcomings I would buy this car again in a minute. My kids are fighting over who gets it when we get rid of it.

Awesome Car
By Liz on 04/28/06 08:36 AM (PDT)

2001 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Great car for a woman! NEVER have any mechanical problems; the only thing I do to this car is the routine maintenance that it needs. It already has more that 100,000 miles and is still running like the first day I bought it :)

My Protege
By R. Glass on 02/08/05 15:23 PM (PST)

2001 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I LOVE my Protege. I purchased it brand new (5/01). I've put 76K miles on it and ABSOLUTELY no problems! Only oil changes & I did the timing belt & water pump at 60K as recommended.

This car makes me grin.
By WriterGuy on 09/07/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The protege is a blast to drive. Its chassis responses are smooth and quick, and the steering is nicely weighted. Only problems have been the EGR valve, which stuck and caused a stalling problem, the brakes, which tend to squeal (but stop amazingly well), and the clutch, which has some chatter in cold weather. My protege has 60k miles on it and still feels new.

Reliability Problems!
By jdwilkin on 07/03/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I had hoped that the good looks and performance of the Protege would be matched by Japanese reliability. No such luck. Had to replace engine (rod bearing)at 80k. Transmission repair at 81k. Have done rear brakes 3 times and rear links twice already - fronts once. (@ 94k now)Strut failed at 85k. Dealer and Mazda have both avoided any/all responsibility for problems...even while under warranty. Very dissappointing purchase.