Used 2001 Mazda Protege DX Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Mazda Protege - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:

My 2nd Protege
By CR

2001 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Of all the purchasing decisions I have made in my life, choosing the 2001 Protege 5-speed DX has probably been my single best decision. I bought it used with 64k miles; it looks and runs the same after 96k miles. Replaced brakes, shocks and battery when I bought it, timing belt and other belts just now. Nothing else. My two longevity tips: use synthetic oil and hand-wax it. The only issues: The famous digital clock problem expanded to the entire radio, which now fails to operate. More road noise than I'd prefer on the highway. First signs of rust showing near the wheel wells, probably from winter salt.

Favorite Features

Superior driver legroom for a small car.

Suggested Improvements

Eliminate window air noise at highway speeds.

Dependable
By Big John

2001 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Needs more head and leg room. Only one problem, the ground wire on the wiper motor broke and I fixed it myself. One new set of front brakes put on at 80000. Interstate MPG up to 39 at times. Great little car unless you're a great big or tall person.

Not that Great
By protege666

2001 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I just paid off my Protege and I am sooo ready for a different car. I bought it for the four door and fuel economy aspect. Those two things aren't disappointing...pretty much everything else was...teh electronics were always if-y and the drivers seat kills your back...theseat belts in the back have all but ceased to function. It's just NOT THAT GREAT of a car.

Favorite Features

The steering wheel is cute, and there is plenty of trunk space.

Suggested Improvements

The electronic system is not good (i.e. clock/cd display and so on)

Great Little Car
By John

2001 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Great mileage, at times getting 36+ on the interstate. Other than routine maintenance, never had a problem with almost 85,000 on the odometer. Highly recommend this car.

Favorite Features

Sturdily built.

Suggested Improvements

Bit more leg room for 6 footers.

Nice economy sedan.
By gatodelsol

2001 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Look no further if you want a simple, more-bang-for-your-buck economy sedan. I couldn't believe how well the 4-door Protege' DX compared to the Nissan Sentra, Chevy Prizm, Saturn SL2, Toyota Corolla, and- its main nemesis- the Honda Civic. The DX may be the plain Jane of the Protege' stable, but she is still a beauty of the first magnitude. I would buy another Protege' in a minute.

Favorite Features

Excellent 5-speed manual transmission (tight!), great fuel economy- 35 MPG highway; 28 MPG city. Nice paint job (tough finish). Comfortable interior- front and back seats. Firm, smooth, feel-the-road handling in steering and suspension. Excellent AM/FM/CD Stereo and speakers.

Suggested Improvements

Cruise control. Offer a hybrid electric/gas engine with electric regenerative braking! Hmm. How about a hydrogen fuel cell engine?!