Used 2001 Mazda Protege Sedan Consumer Reviews - 70 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Mazda Protege Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:

Mazda Protege 2001 engine light on
By A. Ally

2001 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 2.0 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have Mazda protégé 2001 with mileage over 350000 km. The engine light is on and this is because of the environmental or fuel vapor issue. I tried to repair and the light still comes on. It is very good on gasoline. The front brakes seems to wear fast, since owning this I have changed front brakes three times and once only for the rear brakes. The car is excellent driving on snow never got stuck. The steering wheel always pull easily to the direction of the wind, makes it uncomfortable driving. There is no leak on the engine and it seems can go over another 200,000 km.

Bane of my existence
By Austin

2001 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 2.0 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Made a huge mistake buying this car at about 130,000 miles. As soon as I left the lot I got a check engine light, obviously this is more my fault from buying from the used dealer, however it only gets worse. Had issues for months where the car would refuse to start at completely random intervals, INFURIATING. Spent roughly 800 dollars trying to fix the issue, mechanic finally figured it out after a couple months. Along the year I owned this thing i had to fix fans, replace the catalytic converter, and various other things. Last month the car starting overheating on me while on the highway and the timing belt blew. Car likely needs a new engine. I'm completely done with it.

Do yourself a favor and don't get a Mazda from the early 2000's, it's just not reliable and I'm 90% sure you will deeply regret your decision.

Great car
By Steve

2001 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 01 protege 3 years ago for $500.00 with 150k. He thought it was on its last leg lol it now has 235k and still gets a persistent 34 to 37 mpg and just runs like a sewing machine. The only maintenance I've had was a starter battery brakes tires and alternator

I love this car!!
By Natalie Bowman

2001 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned this car since it was new and I love it. It is 14 years old and has 158,000 miles on it and I plan to keep it to 200,000. Just this week I spent $1100 on new front brakes and loose tie ends. I didn't hesitate to spend that amount of money on an older car because I know how few repairs this car has needed in the last 14 years (not many) and I trust it will continue to give me good value. It is just starting to get a little rust around the tire well. Did I mention that I LOVE this car?

Holding strong after 15 years
By kamary99

2001 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

My 2001 Mazda Protege has been my main car since it was new; it recently passed the 100K miles mark and is still going strong. The ABS is vital for winter driving. Never been in a serious accident. Still has good pick-up and responsiveness. Hard to imagine getting a better value for a car than this.

Major repairs so far: Transmission got replaced about five years in. Front brakes replaced last year. It definitely needs new struts and perhaps shocks at this point; the handling has deteriorated some.

Minor issues: Digital clock stopped working immediately. Rust around the wheel wells starting about 3 years ago. The hubcaps won't stay on at all anymore.

Very responsive and easy to handle. ABS and cruise control come in handy. There's plenty of leg room for tall people in front (my spouse and I are both about 6'). The windows in the back go all the way down, which kids and dogs both appreciate. Compared to other cars on the road, this one looks very basic and no-frills. I happen to like that.

Road noise -- Got to turn the radio way up when on the highway. It's finally starting to get to me. Lack of road noise is the first thing I notice now in newer cars.