Used 2001 Mazda Protege Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Mazda Protege Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:

Bane of my existence
By Austin

2001 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 2.0 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Made a huge mistake buying this car at about 130,000 miles. As soon as I left the lot I got a check engine light, obviously this is more my fault from buying from the used dealer, however it only gets worse. Had issues for months where the car would refuse to start at completely random intervals, INFURIATING. Spent roughly 800 dollars trying to fix the issue, mechanic finally figured it out after a couple months. Along the year I owned this thing i had to fix fans, replace the catalytic converter, and various other things. Last month the car starting overheating on me while on the highway and the timing belt blew. Car likely needs a new engine. I'm completely done with it. Do yourself a favor and don't get a Mazda from the early 2000's, it's just not reliable and I'm 90% sure you will deeply regret your decision.

Great car
By Steve

2001 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 01 protege 3 years ago for $500.00 with 150k. He thought it was on its last leg lol it now has 235k and still gets a persistent 34 to 37 mpg and just runs like a sewing machine. The only maintenance I've had was a starter battery brakes tires and alternator

I love this car!!
By Natalie Bowman

2001 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned this car since it was new and I love it. It is 14 years old and has 158,000 miles on it and I plan to keep it to 200,000. Just this week I spent $1100 on new front brakes and loose tie ends. I didn't hesitate to spend that amount of money on an older car because I know how few repairs this car has needed in the last 14 years (not many) and I trust it will continue to give me good value. It is just starting to get a little rust around the tire well. Did I mention that I LOVE this car?

Holding strong after 15 years
By kamary99

2001 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

My 2001 Mazda Protege has been my main car since it was new; it recently passed the 100K miles mark and is still going strong. The ABS is vital for winter driving. Never been in a serious accident. Still has good pick-up and responsiveness. Hard to imagine getting a better value for a car than this. Major repairs so far: Transmission got replaced about five years in. Front brakes replaced last year. It definitely needs new struts and perhaps shocks at this point; the handling has deteriorated some. Minor issues: Digital clock stopped working immediately. Rust around the wheel wells starting about 3 years ago. The hubcaps won't stay on at all anymore.

Very responsive and easy to handle. ABS and cruise control come in handy. There's plenty of leg room for tall people in front (my spouse and I are both about 6'). The windows in the back go all the way down, which kids and dogs both appreciate. Compared to other cars on the road, this one looks very basic and no-frills. I happen to like that.

Road noise -- Got to turn the radio way up when on the highway. It's finally starting to get to me. Lack of road noise is the first thing I notice now in newer cars.

Great car for the most part
By bond_fanatic18

2001 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 2.0 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My dad bought a gold '01 Protege brand new when I was a kid. It was never driven much, mainly used as a backup car. When I got my licence it was my ride to high school and in general as I hated driving my mother's van. I drove it for a year before my dad traded it for a 2012 Honda CR-V. It did its job fine, got me to school and back without fuss, was fun to drive with the 5-speed and great on gas. The only problem I had was the alternator crapping out in the middle of the freeway and I had to have it towed. Apart from that it was pretty reliable. I'd recommend it, just watch out for rust problems and keep it to a meticulous maintenance schedule. Also not the best car to learn stick on.

On a good day the ride was actually pretty good despite the stick shift. It was pretty fast with the 2.0 and handled great. It was a good commuter car for a high school student. It was also quite roomy, I'm 6'4 and fit just fine and it had room for 3 friends in the back and wasn't too bad on an hour long road trip. No major problems except the alternator, nothing about the rods, struts or anything like a lot of reviews I've read. It's a fine first car as long as you take care of it

Not the best car to learn stick on. The clutch is touchy and the car itself didn't take too kindly to me at first. I learned in driver's ed and we got along better. Watch the original parts as the alternator that died hadn't been changed. Also watch out for rust. Proteges have been notorious for rust problems and ours was no exception, that's partly why we got rid of it. The ride was pretty bumpy at times, when my dad got the CR-V all my friends said they didn't miss the Mazda and TBH, I didn't either. I guess I just have higher standards with cars.

• SUV