Used 2001 Mazda Protege DX Consumer Reviews - 8 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Mazda Protege - Consumer Reviews

2001 Mazda Protege

View reviews for a specific Protege model:

Great car
By Steve

2001 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 01 protege 3 years ago for $500.00 with 150k. He thought it was on its last leg lol it now has 235k and still gets a persistent 34 to 37 mpg and just runs like a sewing machine. The only maintenance I've had was a starter battery brakes tires and alternator

My 2nd Protege
By CR

2001 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Of all the purchasing decisions I have made in my life, choosing the 2001 Protege 5-speed DX has probably been my single best decision. I bought it used with 64k miles; it looks and runs the same after 96k miles. Replaced brakes, shocks and battery when I bought it, timing belt and other belts just now. Nothing else. My two longevity tips: use synthetic oil and hand-wax it. The only issues: The famous digital clock problem expanded to the entire radio, which now fails to operate. More road noise than I'd prefer on the highway. First signs of rust showing near the wheel wells, probably from winter salt.

Superior driver legroom for a small car.

Eliminate window air noise at highway speeds.

Dependable
By Big John

2001 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Needs more head and leg room. Only one problem, the ground wire on the wiper motor broke and I fixed it myself. One new set of front brakes put on at 80000. Interstate MPG up to 39 at times. Great little car unless you're a great big or tall person.

Not that Great
By protege666

2001 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I just paid off my Protege and I am sooo ready for a different car. I bought it for the four door and fuel economy aspect. Those two things aren't disappointing...pretty much everything else was...teh electronics were always if-y and the drivers seat kills your back...theseat belts in the back have all but ceased to function. It's just NOT THAT GREAT of a car.

The steering wheel is cute, and there is plenty of trunk space.

The electronic system is not good (i.e. clock/cd display and so on)

Great Little Car
By John

2001 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Great mileage, at times getting 36+ on the interstate. Other than routine maintenance, never had a problem with almost 85,000 on the odometer. Highly recommend this car.

Sturdily built.

Bit more leg room for 6 footers.