2001 Mazda Protege - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:
My 2nd Protege
By CR on 04/25/10 16:26 PM (PDT)

2001 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Of all the purchasing decisions I have made in my life, choosing the 2001 Protege 5-speed DX has probably been my single best decision. I bought it used with 64k miles; it looks and runs the same after 96k miles. Replaced brakes, shocks and battery when I bought it, timing belt and other belts just now. Nothing else. My two longevity tips: use synthetic oil and hand-wax it. The only issues: The famous digital clock problem expanded to the entire radio, which now fails to operate. More road noise than I'd prefer on the highway. First signs of rust showing near the wheel wells, probably from winter salt.

Dependable
By Big John on 07/17/07 13:42 PM (PDT)

2001 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Needs more head and leg room. Only one problem, the ground wire on the wiper motor broke and I fixed it myself. One new set of front brakes put on at 80000. Interstate MPG up to 39 at times. Great little car unless you're a great big or tall person.

Not that Great
By protege666 on 04/26/07 14:32 PM (PDT)

2001 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I just paid off my Protege and I am sooo ready for a different car. I bought it for the four door and fuel economy aspect. Those two things aren't disappointing...pretty much everything else was...teh electronics were always if-y and the drivers seat kills your back...theseat belts in the back have all but ceased to function. It's just NOT THAT GREAT of a car.

Great Little Car
By John on 01/27/06 10:35 AM (PST)

2001 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Great mileage, at times getting 36+ on the interstate. Other than routine maintenance, never had a problem with almost 85,000 on the odometer. Highly recommend this car.

Nice economy sedan.
By gatodelsol on 06/08/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Look no further if you want a simple, more-bang-for-your-buck economy sedan. I couldn't believe how well the 4-door Protege' DX compared to the Nissan Sentra, Chevy Prizm, Saturn SL2, Toyota Corolla, and- its main nemesis- the Honda Civic. The DX may be the plain Jane of the Protege' stable, but she is still a beauty of the first magnitude. I would buy another Protege' in a minute.

I love my Protege.
By Supergirl on 04/06/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

This car drives beautifully. My friend just got a new Accord and he still prefers to drive my car because of the smooth transmission. Great sound system. Nice design inside and out. And while it drives smoothly, when I'm in a pinch and need to move, I push that pedal down and it surprises me. Good for driving comfortably or tearing through traffic like a nut. This car is so much more than I expected.

The 1990-1994 Proteges are better
By ProtegeOwner on 06/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

The new Mazda Proteges are ok...but they are way underpowered. I have a 1994 DX which is a 1.8L SOHC 4 cylinder. My SOHC engine, which is only 103hp just right out murders the 1.6L DOHC engine thats in the new Proteges. I was very disappointed in the 1.6L when I test drove it. That engine had no pep or pick up at all. Whats with all that Zoom Zoom talk when the new Proteges do not have any?!?!. The First Generation Proteges are far better than the new ones.