2000 Mazda Protege Consumer Review: Very reliable, very average

2000 Mazda Protege - Consumer Review

Very reliable, very average
By orniflect on

2000 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

I own the stick shift model. 90% highway miles for its entire life (175k miles so far). Averaging 32-33 mpg for entire life. It's aging as expected - can definitely tell it's not immortal; little things breaking, but nothing big yet. Would you believe that I didn't have to replace the front disc rotors until over 90k miles on it? Pretty wild - I really wasn't 'stretching' into unsafe-ness. replacement rotors lasted "only" 60k miles. Clutch still tight, zero oil consumed, and I'm not particularly diligent with changes (avg ~5k miles). Other than the exhaust heat shield getting loose more than once - 2 or 3 welding jobs over time to stop the noise, no odd/out of place troubles.

Nimble little beast!

Pretty much same as everyone else's. My only regret in buying this car is dealing with the road noise - worst on the tollways which unfortunately is where 90% of all my hours have been spent. Good tires don't help - I tried. I will pay extra next time for a quieter car!!!!