2000 Mazda Protege Consumer Review: Hard to part with, unbeatable

2000 Mazda Protege - Consumer Review

ES Sedan (1.8L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

Hard to part with, unbeatable car
By Miatajeff on

2000 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan

My Seventh Mazda, this little ES is a wolf in sheeps clothing. I love the conservative styling, the comfortable interior, the unbeatable handling, the perfect reliability! This car has been outstanding, with nary a problem since new. Cheap to own and to maintain, a joy to drive, I am having a hard time parting with it. I have been looking at new cars and am going to take a step up to a Volvo, but I can't bear to part with my Protege! Suggestions: put Nokian tires on all fours and the car's foul-weather handling improves. The only complaint I can muster is that it is a loud car- lots of raod noise, but that is minor compared to its graces.

Reliability!!! Handling!!! Comfort, and fun to drive-did I mention reliable?

Quieter, please. The third brake light housing rattles too (I know I am searching here...)I wish Mazda made an upscale all wheel drive car that was a bit bigger than the 6. I will be buying my first non-Mazda if I can part with this car!