2000 Mazda Protege 1.6L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - Great but expensive to upkeep!

2000 Mazda Protege Sedan - Consumer Review

Great but expensive to upkeep!
By RetroDude on

2000 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

I love and hate this car. I like the fact that it gives pretty good gas mileage for being a 3-speed auto trans. I also like the design of the car, it's got lines and not too "rounded off" which made it unique in its class. What I hate about this car: noise level. You can practically hear almost anything even with the windows shut. The engine noise is almost unbearable especially when driving on the fwy, it tends to rev at an average of around 3,500 RPM/65MPH. Also, maintenance on the car isn't cheap. Parts for Mazdas are the highest compared others. To date, I've spent more than $3,700 just on routine maintenance - but with 125,000 miles, it still runs like brand new.

Favorite Features

Console box w/ door under CD player, center console armrest, power accessories - and of course: air conditioning!

Suggested Improvements

Add 'Lock' and 'Light' for glove compartment. Passenger side door needs lock/unlock switch, passenger visor needs vanity mirror. Rear disc brake instead of 'drums' would be a big plus!