2000 Mazda Protege 1.6L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - Expensive upkeep!

2000 Mazda Protege - Consumer Review

LX Sedan (1.6L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

Expensive upkeep!
By Protege LX_Owner on

2000 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

I bought it when it had 12K miles and the car was practically new. I took good care of it; changed oil on time within 3-5k miles - depending on my driving habits, routine maintenance and BRAKES (more on that later) etc. Over the past 8 years of ownership, the car has been very reliable but with a cost! My service receipts so far have totaled up to about $3,800 to date - that's an equivalent to $45/mo or $542/year!! The costliest thing ever to take a toll on the receipts were the 'brakes'; during the course, I have had eight (yes, that's 8!) brake pad replacements which included rotors and rear shoes every other alternate times. The upside: at 125K miles, the car still runs like new.

Favorite Features

One touch auto (driver) window down, tilt steering, CD player, huge trunk space. Gas mileage wasn't bad either - I get about 320 miles out of the tank.

Suggested Improvements

Sound dampening, but too late now since they've already migrated to newer models.