Used 2000 Mazda Protege Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Mazda Protege - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:

This one is a lemon
By Miyah

2000 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan

My wife bought this car because it was rated a consumer best buy. I think we want our money back on that one. This car has had the radiator replaced at 2 years the power locks at 2 and half years something dealing with the steering replaced at 4 years and numerous issues with the links on the overside of the car rusting out and breaking. It would be easy to blame the driver but she actually has taken very good care of this car; it is just a lemon. I don't think I would pay a Mazda price to get Ford quality. Also, why would Mazda put racing tires that cost $140 each on a 125hp small seda. Makes no sense and I never thought about the tires until going to get new ones.

It actually handles well on the road.

Alloy tires are cool but putting high performance tires on a base ES small sedan with 125hp makes no sense. I think Mazda was thinking too far out of the box on this one.

Hard to part with, unbeatable car
By Miatajeff

2000 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan

My Seventh Mazda, this little ES is a wolf in sheeps clothing. I love the conservative styling, the comfortable interior, the unbeatable handling, the perfect reliability! This car has been outstanding, with nary a problem since new. Cheap to own and to maintain, a joy to drive, I am having a hard time parting with it. I have been looking at new cars and am going to take a step up to a Volvo, but I can't bear to part with my Protege! Suggestions: put Nokian tires on all fours and the car's foul-weather handling improves. The only complaint I can muster is that it is a loud car- lots of raod noise, but that is minor compared to its graces.

Reliability!!! Handling!!! Comfort, and fun to drive-did I mention reliable?

Quieter, please. The third brake light housing rattles too (I know I am searching here...)I wish Mazda made an upscale all wheel drive car that was a bit bigger than the 6. I will be buying my first non-Mazda if I can part with this car!

Very Dependable Field Car
By wolfbear9

2000 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

I have had this car for over 3years now and have 72000 miles on it. I drive 100 miles + per day for work and have only had this car in the shop for front brakes and oil changes.Wipers and rear brake lamps are the only maintenance I have had to perform on this car.I did purchase an extended warranty 7 years or 100k miles but have never had to use it. 35mpg with a/c & automatic trans. Trunk space is good and stereo sounds good. Very low cost of operation vehicle.

Very zippy car, fits in most "compact" parking lots with very good manueverability. Has very responsive steering, and good brakes.I get lots of great comments on its outside appearance.

If you are looking for a hot rod this car isnt it. A larger gas tank capacity would be nice, 13.2 gallons is kinda small. keyless entry would be a bonus, wasnt avail on the 2000 models.

Thank God for extended warrenties!
By fallen_angel

2000 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

I bought my Mazda brand new and I loved all the extras my Mazda had..it was fully loaded.I am in sales and am in my car for hours a day. The seats get uncomfortable after a while. Thank god for the extended warrenty because as soon as the factory warrenty expired I started having problems.Every time I took it to the dealer to be fixed they said it was fine, or they fixed it...but they didn't. Also,it was the worst car I have ever driven in the snow. It would slide all over the place and do 360's into snow banks when it wasn't even bad out.

The extras I had in the car.

Improve the pick up, handling, and the factory tires, make traction control a standard.

This car needs a soul
By icantdrive55

2000 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

This is a good car for everyday driving, however it wont do much more than that. Whenever you need that extra oomph there is nothing there, and downshifting hardly does anything but make more noise. Overall it is a good car but it just seems to be lacking, maybe that ES would be better or even the new MazdaSpeed. I just wish it had some character to stand out from the rest of the everyday commuters.

Cruise Control Gas Mileage Cost of ownership