2000 Mazda Protege Consumer Reviews 9

2000 Mazda Protege - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:
Best in class
By wanorris on 03/13/02 22:25 PM (PST)

2000 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan

All cars in this class involve tradeoffs, but if you want an affordable, reliable driver's car, the Protege ES is unbeatable. It's got the best handling in the class, it's the roomiest in it's class, it's as reliable as a Corolla, and it's peppier than the Corolla or Civic. The Sentra SE has more under the hood, but it won't handle as well, and it will likely be in the shop some. I've had this car for 2 years now, and I still absolutely love to drive it. Bottom line, this is an extremely practical car that's a lot of fun to drive. One final note: compared with the ES, the 2000 DX and LX have a smaller, underpowered engine. The ES is the one to own.

Great Car!!!
By Bill Nye on 03/10/02 22:28 PM (PST)

2000 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

I commute several hundred miles a Week for work (800+ mi.). This car just runs and runs, no problems, just change the oil and it goes. Has almost 30K miles and takes a beating.

I must have got a lemon
By Snoop on 03/07/02 21:32 PM (PST)

2000 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

This vehicle has been in and out of the shop though they don't want to fix it when it gets there. Finally found a factory defect after 4 attempts. Still having the same problem. Dealerships don't want to fix the car unless it's dead on the water.

Excellent Car
By silentguilt on 03/04/02 20:46 PM (PST)

2000 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

This is a quality small car that is easy and cheap to maintain. I have had no major problems with 28k on the odometer. The one problem I had was a airbag sensor, and a quick fix under warranty. The 1.6L has only 105hp, but makes use of all that is there with a slick shifting auto tranny. Complaints: The car has one small rattle, and is a bit rough and loud on the highway. If you have a chance to pick one of these up used, do not hesitate!

Excellent buy for the price!
By the_big_h on 02/26/02 10:20 AM (PST)

2000 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan

I have had this car for almost 2 years, and it has been flawless, barring a deer accident that I had back in October 2000. GREAT handling and peppy acceleration with a firm but comfortable ride. The Bridgestone OEM tires perform well, but it's a bit noisy. At highway speed the car is extremely stable, even when under strong crosswinds. The stereo w/ CD player is solid for a OEM system. A must-see if looking for a good used car!