Used 2000 Mazda Protege Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Mazda Protege Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:

My Mazda Protege
By Kay

2000 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

My 2000 Mazda Protege has been wonderful to drive. I have replaced the front brakes and all four tires. Also the windshield wipers. I have 68,000 miles on it. I live in Florida and drove it to Des Moines, IA in September of 2002. It handled very good with excellent gas mileage. I have a stick transmission. The A/C runs very cold. I am very satisfied with it.

Gas mileage and the way it handles on the road

The paint job. It doesn't take much for it to chip.

Nice Ride
By Dude

2000 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

I have had this car for 5 years and put on 98,000 miles. Over all it has been a nice little car; it is fun to drive and has been fairly reliable. There have been some problems with it - the starter coil has burned out twice and the catalytic converter went on me. All of these problems were covered by the original warranty. Additionally, two of the automatic door locks have broken which is a real pain. I have had 3 or 4 sets of tires and the poor weather handling has always been a problem. If I didn't have a 5-speed to slow the car on snow, I don't think it would ever stop sliding.

Reliability, 5-speed is fun to drive, gas mileage.

Poor weather handling and reliablilty of automatic door locks.

Great for a young new driver or.......
By Rachel

2000 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

This car is great for a new young driver or a senior citizen. It is not fast, it's great on gas, and it has a great look. I've had this car for over a year now. Its an "ok" car. My dad bought it for me cause my other car broke down. I never really fell in love with it, but it got me where I wanted/needed to go. If you want speed, dont get this car. If you want luxury, this Is not your car. If you want a comfortable ride, this isn't your ride. But if you want a economy car this is your car! I recommend it for teens and senior citizens.

The sound. The sound is actually great. And the air conditioning. It gets pretty cold. And the folding back seats.

The horsepower. It is only 100 HPs. That is really LOW! Also I'd suggest keyless entry. The cup holders are in a HORRIBLE spot. They need to fix that. Also back pockets on the seats would be great.

Mazda All the Way
By DA2799

2000 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

Purchased my Protege and have had 50k trouble free miles to date. What this little rocket lacks in power it makes up for in handling and sheer driving pleasure. I've replaced the original tires with Pirelli PZero Nero's and they are a blast on this car. Other than the lack of sheer power I love this car. Other than normal maintenance this is the most trouble free car I've owned; starts always not a worry to report.

Handling, sheer driving pleasure only short of a BMW. Moonroof, great stereo, all the luxury touches of a more upscale car.

Well, now that the latest version Mazda 3 has the available 160 horsepower 2.3 liter engine, the horsepower issue has been addressed; all else makes it a blast to own and drive

perfect reliability
By mark

2000 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Bought car new. Have never had any problem in 5 years. Everything has always worked perfectly. Has excellent steering feel and corners well. I like the stiff springs. It can carry 4 people without noticing the extra weight. Gas mileage with stick shift is about 30 for the worst city conditions and 40 for the best highway conditions with very careful driving using 5th gear often. I use 92 octane gas, because 87 octane will knock slightly when accelerating up hill. Engine will last longer with 92 octane. Road noise is high on coarse surfaces.

Steering feel. stiff springs. fold down rear seat.

More power. Vinyl upholstery. Rubber floor instead of carpet. More durable bumpers. Improve gas fill pipe. Gas pump shuts off 3 gallons short, and takes 5 minutes to fill last 3 gallons at trickle speed. Use heat reflective glass and less window slope to keep out heat from sun. Less road noise.