2000 Mazda Protege DX Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Mazda Protege Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:
2000 Protege LX
By JBC on 07/02/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

This has been an excellent vehicle. The interior design is delightful, and the quality for the money is outstanding. Mine has the older 1.6 liter engine which returns about 34 mpg in mixed driving. Although not very powerful, it is adequate and very willing powerplant. Cornering and general handling is very good. I would recommend ABS option for these cars as under hard braking (panic stop) sometimes the rear brakes will lock up early. Reliability has been perfect. A bit noisy on the highway (wind noise) but still comfortable for small car. Highly recommended!

Cocky lil car huh!
By rltaylor on 06/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I had done research up on 3 cars (Honda, Toyota and Mazda) for about 3 mo. And decided on the 2000 Protege LX (standard-only 20,400 miles). It's a snappy tight lil car. Toyota and Honda are a lot more expensive but the Protege LX (my opinion) has the same performance if not better and made in JAPAN too. purr's like a kitten!

What happened?
By buzz on 05/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Bought this car new at the end of the model year. Just got it out of the shop, again. This is the second time in 1 1/2 years that the fuel injector had to be replaced. Both times I took the car in for repairs, it took a while to diagnose the problem. Overall the drive is clean. Only major complaint is inadequate power for acceleration when merging on the highway or driving up a hill (especially if the air conditioner is on--then you can forget it!!) As long as you can get a good "run" towards a hill the car will GO.

Whee!
By Goober on 05/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

This car is so much fun to drive...the handling is very balanced and predictable...very light on its feet. Acceleration is just zippy enough to be fun and gets good gas mileage. It's roomy inside for a small car. Good looking too. Just turned 30000 miles and it's been reliable. A little noisy on the highway and the ride is firm.

A drivers car
By lanshahan on 05/04/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

After two fun years with the Protege ES I can report that this cars best feature is the well developed suspension. The steering provides great feedback, and is properly weighted.Brakes are up to the task even with the low tech drums out back. The motor is adequate but who doesn't want more power. Styling is clean both exterior and interior and is holding up well to the rigors of the day to day grind. On the downside I have found that this is a noisy car and I have had to add some insulation to the rear panel and doors. Additionally I had the vehicle undercoated. I have also had to solve a couple of rattle/buzz issues.

Frequent Maintence for the 2000 Mazda
By adingle on 04/22/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Once this vehicle started aproaching the 30,000 mile mark it requires alot of maintenance. Trasmission problems, fuel injection problems, check engine light comes on repeatingly even after getting the require servicing.

Weird Quirks
By tasia41 on 04/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

I like my 2000 MAZDA Protege ES, but weird quirks with it. Driving 65 mph - there is a whistle that screams through the dash vents. Played with the controls-nothing helps. Funny smell from air conditioning (no dead creatures found). Smell is sickly sweet. Heat also creates strange smell. Rear passengers stay hot all the time. Problems with auto entry. (Electrical?) Moon/sun roof also creates a screaming sound. Can correct by holding down the unit with hand. Shouldn't have to do that. No Umph. Try to merge into highway traffic is slow (manual shift). Hamster drive.

Mazda 626
By kvammen on 04/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Every one is entitled to one mistake in their life, this was mine.

Hybrid Car?
By LX on 04/03/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I purchased an LX in Feb. The only minor beef I have is the placement of the inside roof safety handle on the passenger side. I'm 6' so the handle sits about 1" from my head, perfect whacking distance on tight curves and speed bumps! Also, according to our dealer, the LX is the "top of the line" but Edmunds and many other websites list it as the midrange. See Pacific Mazda's website: pacificmazda dot com. The only thing I can attribute this to is maybe the scheme is different in Canada. Many of our "LX" features appear to be only available on the ES: Air Conditioning, Power Everything, Cruise Control, ABS Brakes and a 1.8 L engine.

Good Car!
By Rogue DJ on 03/23/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

Great car! i am glad i baught it! ftom the screaming accelaration to the squealing breaking, I am who car makers fear. If i had the opertunity i would "dog out" a satern! But i havebt, however this car! Mazda is only surpased by subaru and chevy in car building knowlage, they build it to be used! 3 years of abuse and racing have taken litle tole on my car! few modafications that are cheap have turned my car into a street machene. Buy it, , and steer carfuly!!! cuz you are gone!