2000 Mazda Protege Consumer Reviews 7

2000 Mazda Protege - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:
Decent Car that needs tweaking
By ptben on 12/17/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

There's a factory defect in the way a front knuckle was put in in the steering column. took several attempts to finally get the dealership to fix it. Good little car. It's just be in the shop for a new catalytic converter, new starter, new fly wheel, wears brakes quickly even though we drive very conservatively.

Great Car for the $$
By fasteddie on 12/10/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan

I have 37,000 mile on my Protoge ES, no problems yet! Fun to drive, and biggest bang for your buck back then. I like Mazda cars, this is my third, my forth was a Tribute that my wife drives. I used to be a loyal Honda fanatic, (I had 4 Honda/Acura cars)but after experiencing what Mazda had to offer at a more reasonable price, I defected to the Mazda ranks. I am looking forward to the new mazda6 as my next car, although I might wait for the hatch.

I love this car
By Phylo74 on 11/15/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

This car gets great gas mileage (more than 40 mpg on flat highways), has comfortable seats, and has plenty of power despite having only a 1.6 liter engine. Have had the car more than two years now with only one trip to the dealership to replace some sort of air flow sensor. I recently sold my 2001 Subaru Legacy because I could never find a comfortable driving position and always preferred to take the Protege unless it was snowing. I only wish that Mazda hadn't discontinued the 1.6 liter engine on later models.

Solid, Reliable & A Hoot to Drive!
By gmaduro on 11/08/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan

Other than minor recalls, this car is as dependable as any of its Japanese counterparts. It's performance/price ratio is higher than the competition by a good bit. The ES's interior is clean, tightly finished and nicely laid out.

Love my Protege
By jjac28 on 11/06/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan

I THINK THE PROTEGE IS THE BEST IN IT' S CLASS FOR THE YEAR 2000. I OWN THE ES 1.8L PROTEGE (LX IN CANADA) WITH ALL THE OPTIONS IE: TOURING PACKAGE (POTENZA TIRES, MOONROOF, SPOLIER ETC) I HAVE NOW 60,000KM ON IT AND IT'S BEEN GREAT OWNING THE CAR. I AM AN AGGRESSIVE/FAST DRIVER SO I REALLY PUSH THE CAR AND IT NEVER DISAPPOINTS ME. I CANT BELIEVE THAT SOME SOME PEOPLE ACTUALLY COMPLAIN ABOUT THIS CAR. THE PROTEGE OWNERS I SPOKE TO REALLY LIKE THIS CAR AND ARE PROUD TO OWN IT.

Best Small Car
By RLT on 11/01/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

Have had no major problems. Interior may seem cheap, but really is more simple and meant to hold up for a long time. On the highway the road noise can be loud, But the 6 way stereo is great. A lot of options on this car for the money and still was cheaper than the Civic. Its the best car for the money.

mazda
By shanna on 10/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan

This is the most reliable new car I have owned. I love it!

Good pick overall!!
By jridg on 08/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan

I've had the ES over 2 1/2 years with apprx. 40,000 highway miles. It's a very responsive car and handles well on the highway and off. It has very good zip at the start and rides well, but bogs down as soon as the air conditioning goes on. As far as room, I'm 6'2 and this is, by far, the roomiest small car I've been in. It even has more space than the Honda Accord!

2000 Mazda Protege -- DX
By CDAVE on 07/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

This vehicle has been with us for two years now and there have been no major required repairs. The typical maintenance schedule was maintained however. It has been a reliable vehicle.

Mazda Lemon
By No Zoom Zoom Here on 07/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

Some of these cars may have a manufacturing fault with wheelbase and castor settings. This causes the car to drift and wander, necessitating constant correction on the steering. This results in an exhausting drive over longer distances or in adverse conditions. I see another reviewer has had front end/steering problems and wouldn't be surprised to bet they are the same as on my car. Definitely my first and last Mazda.