2000 Mazda Protege Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:
So in love
By Gabriela on 04/18/09 20:58 PM (PDT)

2000 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I've had my Protege for almost three years, it's my first car and I will never buy anything but a Mazda. I have never had any problems with it except with the oxygen sensor, but I think that was a defect in the the replacement. Gas mileage is under par, especially on the highway. I did have to replace the radio because the volume would go up when I was turning it down and the CD player didn't play burned CD's and I was spending too much money on real CD's. Other than that, P cuts like a jack knife and is so fun to drive. Acceleration is excellent and the interior is perfect, not to mention that the outside is so cute :)

Poor Gas Mileage
By t on 04/05/09 09:55 AM (PDT)

2000 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Reliable transportation, like others noticed that volume went down when trying to go up. Then one day the cd player just quit. Not really happy with gas mileage - noticed that right away after buying it - not at all like my Civic. I had to fill up every third day with the Mazda - every fourth with a Civic. I get about 26 mpg.

Great Car!!
By brudragyn on 03/03/09 23:06 PM (PST)

2000 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car a month ago and I have to say I feel like I made one of the best decisions in my life. The protege has not let me down and it has now 114k miles on it. I haven't had to replace anything and its still running great. I am looking forward to keeping this car for the rest of my life :D hopefully it will be with me for a long time to come.

It held up...but..
By Jussy_in_NJ on 02/06/09 07:53 AM (PST)

2000 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

This car held up. I bought it with 68,000 miles on it. While it held up it had terrible handling. And the noises it made were embarrassing and ridiculous. It constantly sounded like it was dying. I never had this car stall and I drove about 40 miles to and from work daily. But if your looking for a nice car that's going to be a quiet ride.. this isn't for you.

I love my Mazda
By supermom1450 on 12/29/08 20:06 PM (PST)

2000 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Our 1992 Buick Regal just died and we needed a 2nd vehicle..bad. Since I'm the chauffeur, I needed something that was good on gas so I could drive the kids around 6 days a week to their various activities as well as maintain my 3 jobs. I love how she handles corners and I wish she were a stick but she's not. We have a lot of snow in New Brunswick and she handles better in the snow and ice than our 3.1L Dodge Grand Caravan. She has such a sporty feel and my kids find her more comfortable than the van. She really likes to go "Zoom Zoom". She has under 150,000km, and she starts up very easily in -25C. When she goes to Mazda heaven I'll be getting another one..sorry GM.

Civic would have been better.
By bleu4917 on 10/28/08 09:26 AM (PDT)

2000 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

The car had a good solid feel in during the first 2 years, but after that things go down hill. The radio volume control doesn't work properly, hard to control volume. The auto memory doesn't work. Rust on most Mazdas of the same year (right side passenger door and trunk). Passenger mirror ripped off easily. Engine problems (RPM is not stable). Automatic door lock failed for one of the doors. Ac has a leak. ABS module has failed. Manual shift doesn't shift smoothly after 2 years.

Expensive upkeep!
By Protege LX_Owner on 10/26/08 22:16 PM (PDT)

2000 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I bought it when it had 12K miles and the car was practically new. I took good care of it; changed oil on time within 3-5k miles - depending on my driving habits, routine maintenance and BRAKES (more on that later) etc. Over the past 8 years of ownership, the car has been very reliable but with a cost! My service receipts so far have totaled up to about $3,800 to date - that's an equivalent to $45/mo or $542/year!! The costliest thing ever to take a toll on the receipts were the 'brakes'; during the course, I have had eight (yes, that's 8!) brake pad replacements which included rotors and rear shoes every other alternate times. The upside: at 125K miles, the car still runs like new.

The best handling, and fuel economy
By Opher on 09/09/08 12:56 PM (PDT)

2000 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I have had this car for the last 9 months, and I don't remember any car having such perfect handling in rain or winding roads. It sticks like super glue to the road, plus I drive it about 60 miles a day to work and get 34 mpg!

Last Mazda For Me!
By Lamrin on 07/17/08 16:58 PM (PDT)

2000 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

This was my first new car. I regret the purchase. I should have gotten a Corolla. Gas mileage is a joke for a small 1.6L auto. I had the rad replaced twice under warranty. At 3 yrs I noticed rust on the bottom front passenger side door. I now have rust inside both rear wheel wells (winters are harsh where I live). AC no longer works and never blew very cold. CD player is extremely finicky. Sometimes it plays, sometimes not. I think it might be related to temperature and humidity. Volume goes up when turning it down. The OD button doesn't work anymore. Some dash lights in the tach are blown. The car is very reliable. It's never broken down on me. I like the interior and trunk space.

My most dependable car ever
By Brian on 06/17/08 16:09 PM (PDT)

2000 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

A great little dependable commuter. I've nothing but good things to say about the Protege. Mine has gone for 8 years and 220,000 miles. The only issues aside from routine maintenance were motor mounts, front wheel cv boots, and a front wheel bearing at approx. 150,000 miles. Considering my purchase price of 11k in 2000 new from the dealer this car cost me just $0.05 per mile. Looking forward to my next Mazda commuter.