Used 2000 Mazda Protege Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Mazda Protege - Consumer Reviews

2000 Mazda Protege Sedan

View reviews for a specific Protege model:

Aint she cute? and Sporty too!
By Betty

2000 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

Bought this car about 1 1/2 yrs ago w/73k miles on it, little 'ol lady owned it, now has about 107k. Figured we'd get good mpg since it's small, about 28 avg. right now, better than 17 we replaced it with! Really wanted a manual transmission, that would have really made it even more fun to drive, and probably better mpg. Put synthetic oil in at about 80k miles after lots of research and believe that made a difference. We all enjoy the drive (ages 19-50), handles real good, tires can make BIG difference though! Four bangers seem to be a little noisy but after we replaced bearings due to accident it made quite a difference! Picks up & go's pretty good and overall Nice car!

Favorite Features

The sporty look with the spoiler and rims, that apparently came stock. Roomy trunk, electronic windows and doors, good sound system. Comfortable seating even the back seat, unless you put 3 adults :o)

Suggested Improvements

Front passenger control to lock doors and roll up/down all windows. Extra sun visors so to have one in front and one on side, we had that in a different car. Fog lights. I would have liked my car to have a sun roof (it was an option when new, I believe)

Very reliable, very average
By orniflect

2000 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I own the stick shift model. 90% highway miles for its entire life (175k miles so far). Averaging 32-33 mpg for entire life. It's aging as expected - can definitely tell it's not immortal; little things breaking, but nothing big yet. Would you believe that I didn't have to replace the front disc rotors until over 90k miles on it? Pretty wild - I really wasn't 'stretching' into unsafe-ness. replacement rotors lasted "only" 60k miles. Clutch still tight, zero oil consumed, and I'm not particularly diligent with changes (avg ~5k miles). Other than the exhaust heat shield getting loose more than once - 2 or 3 welding jobs over time to stop the noise, no odd/out of place troubles.

Favorite Features

Nimble little beast!

Suggested Improvements

Pretty much same as everyone else's. My only regret in buying this car is dealing with the road noise - worst on the tollways which unfortunately is where 90% of all my hours have been spent. Good tires don't help - I tried. I will pay extra next time for a quieter car!!!!

Peppy engine and trans
By opher123

2000 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Bought this car from the dealer. It has a strong transmission as well as super handling on even wet pavement. The only thing i notice with this car are the belts which are very annoying and it's a common problem with this car.

Favorite Features

Super handling the best ever made!

Suggested Improvements

Poor belt adjustment design makes belts squeak loud when a/c is on. Had mechanic fix still a problem!

Red Raphaela the wonder car
By jolie

2000 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Yes, the title is silly but that is actually my nickname for my 2000 Mazda Protege DX. She jumped out at me when I went to a Mazda dealership a couple of days after Christmas, 2000. Buying her was the smartest thing I ever did, transportation wise. She stayed looking like a new car for five years. Even now, she just has a scar on her back bumper and another tiny ding on the rear trunk. It's only because I have a habit of putting it in neutral at stop lights and twice someone bumped me when the light turned green (my foot wasn't on the brake to turn the brake lights on). In nine years, I have only had to replace belts and brake pads. Honest!

Favorite Features

Styling. Good sound system for a lower end car. Excellent fuel economy. I swear I get 40MPG on the highway. Fantastic reliability.

Suggested Improvements

This is the perfect, simple, no frills car. It won best subcompact of 2000 for a reason.

I loved this Mazda
By iheartmazda

2000 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I have had my Protege for almost 9 years. I have had very few repairs over the year. Very reliable! It is sporty and fun to drive and easy to handle. I am only selling for another Mazda!

Favorite Features

Reliability is great. Fun to handle.