2000 Mazda Protege Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:
Love my protege
By jeannesmyname on 12/30/10 21:45 PM (PST)

2000 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I absolutely loved my Protege, it was very reliable, comfy, and fun to drive. I put 150K on it. It also got excellent gas mileage. It will not play burned cd's and had a year where I had to have the belt replaced a few times, since then it's been running like a top. Just traded it in today for a newer car, but was sad to see it go. I really hope it goes to a great home!

Very reliable, very average
By orniflect on 01/13/10 13:19 PM (PST)

2000 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I own the stick shift model. 90% highway miles for its entire life (175k miles so far). Averaging 32-33 mpg for entire life. It's aging as expected - can definitely tell it's not immortal; little things breaking, but nothing big yet. Would you believe that I didn't have to replace the front disc rotors until over 90k miles on it? Pretty wild - I really wasn't 'stretching' into unsafe-ness. replacement rotors lasted "only" 60k miles. Clutch still tight, zero oil consumed, and I'm not particularly diligent with changes (avg ~5k miles). Other than the exhaust heat shield getting loose more than once - 2 or 3 welding jobs over time to stop the noise, no odd/out of place troubles.

I loved this Mazda
By iheartmazda on 11/20/09 21:50 PM (PST)

2000 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I have had my Protege for almost 9 years. I have had very few repairs over the year. Very reliable! It is sporty and fun to drive and easy to handle. I am only selling for another Mazda!

Quality Auto
By Ted W. Lee on 09/03/09 19:45 PM (PDT)

2000 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

In the ten yrs.that I have owned the car, with the exception of when the battery "died" it has never failed to start and has never stalled. It's always been parked outside(in Mich.) The only major negative problem has been the suspension the last couple of yrs. Going over the slightest bump results in a very noisy and "rattley" ride.It sounds and feels like the suspension system has completely failed.I have about 90000 miles on the car.The car still looks almost like new (because of a paint sealant applied each year.) Never a problem with wheel alignment(never had it done).

Poor Gas Mileage
By t on 04/05/09 09:55 AM (PDT)

2000 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Reliable transportation, like others noticed that volume went down when trying to go up. Then one day the cd player just quit. Not really happy with gas mileage - noticed that right away after buying it - not at all like my Civic. I had to fill up every third day with the Mazda - every fourth with a Civic. I get about 26 mpg.

It held up...but..
By Jussy_in_NJ on 02/06/09 07:53 AM (PST)

2000 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

This car held up. I bought it with 68,000 miles on it. While it held up it had terrible handling. And the noises it made were embarrassing and ridiculous. It constantly sounded like it was dying. I never had this car stall and I drove about 40 miles to and from work daily. But if your looking for a nice car that's going to be a quiet ride.. this isn't for you.

I love my Mazda
By supermom1450 on 12/29/08 20:06 PM (PST)

2000 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Our 1992 Buick Regal just died and we needed a 2nd vehicle..bad. Since I'm the chauffeur, I needed something that was good on gas so I could drive the kids around 6 days a week to their various activities as well as maintain my 3 jobs. I love how she handles corners and I wish she were a stick but she's not. We have a lot of snow in New Brunswick and she handles better in the snow and ice than our 3.1L Dodge Grand Caravan. She has such a sporty feel and my kids find her more comfortable than the van. She really likes to go "Zoom Zoom". She has under 150,000km, and she starts up very easily in -25C. When she goes to Mazda heaven I'll be getting another one..sorry GM.

Civic would have been better.
By bleu4917 on 10/28/08 09:26 AM (PDT)

2000 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

The car had a good solid feel in during the first 2 years, but after that things go down hill. The radio volume control doesn't work properly, hard to control volume. The auto memory doesn't work. Rust on most Mazdas of the same year (right side passenger door and trunk). Passenger mirror ripped off easily. Engine problems (RPM is not stable). Automatic door lock failed for one of the doors. Ac has a leak. ABS module has failed. Manual shift doesn't shift smoothly after 2 years.

Expensive upkeep!
By Protege LX_Owner on 10/26/08 22:16 PM (PDT)

2000 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I bought it when it had 12K miles and the car was practically new. I took good care of it; changed oil on time within 3-5k miles - depending on my driving habits, routine maintenance and BRAKES (more on that later) etc. Over the past 8 years of ownership, the car has been very reliable but with a cost! My service receipts so far have totaled up to about $3,800 to date - that's an equivalent to $45/mo or $542/year!! The costliest thing ever to take a toll on the receipts were the 'brakes'; during the course, I have had eight (yes, that's 8!) brake pad replacements which included rotors and rear shoes every other alternate times. The upside: at 125K miles, the car still runs like new.

Great but expensive to upkeep!
By RetroDude on 04/28/08 02:36 AM (PDT)

2000 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I love and hate this car. I like the fact that it gives pretty good gas mileage for being a 3-speed auto trans. I also like the design of the car, it's got lines and not too "rounded off" which made it unique in its class. What I hate about this car: noise level. You can practically hear almost anything even with the windows shut. The engine noise is almost unbearable especially when driving on the fwy, it tends to rev at an average of around 3,500 RPM/65MPH. Also, maintenance on the car isn't cheap. Parts for Mazdas are the highest compared others. To date, I've spent more than $3,700 just on routine maintenance - but with 125,000 miles, it still runs like brand new.