Used 2000 Mazda Protege LX Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Mazda Protege - Consumer Reviews

2000 Mazda Protege Sedan

View reviews for a specific Protege model:

Excellent Small Car
By mazdafan94

2000 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Purchased my 2000 protege with the proper 5-speed manual in late 2012. Ever since I purchased it I had no mechanical problems. The 1.6ZM Engine runs like clock work and is zippy,the ride is somewhat comfortable, there are no squeaks and rattles, . However, I wish this car had more power.Another issue is rust. I noticed that the protege has the tendency to rust around the rear wheel arches. I talked to an auto body shop and they told me that Mazda during assembly the wheel arches had two pieces of metal spot welded and over time water and debris would seep in between the spot welds causing it to oxidize. Other than those two minor issues this vehicle is one of the most reliable and tough.

Favorite Features

I like the exterior look the front looks somewhat aggressive and you can find eye-lids to make it more aggressive. despite being 15 years old, I can still find JDM (Japanese domestic market) parts for my protege after doing some research. I also found out that this car has many other names like Mazda Familia (Japan)manufactured from 1963-2003.5 , Ford Tierra, and Mazda Isamu Genki (Taiwan)manufactured from 2000-present day with parts! If you have a protege try to research foreign parts. You'll be surprised at what you'll find.

Suggested Improvements

Next time, I would like the engine to have more power!

Love my protege
By jeannesmyname

2000 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I absolutely loved my Protege, it was very reliable, comfy, and fun to drive. I put 150K on it. It also got excellent gas mileage. It will not play burned cd's and had a year where I had to have the belt replaced a few times, since then it's been running like a top. Just traded it in today for a newer car, but was sad to see it go. I really hope it goes to a great home!

Favorite Features

love everything about this car.

Suggested Improvements

only thing they could do to make it better would be to have abs breaks.

Very reliable, very average
By orniflect

2000 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I own the stick shift model. 90% highway miles for its entire life (175k miles so far). Averaging 32-33 mpg for entire life. It's aging as expected - can definitely tell it's not immortal; little things breaking, but nothing big yet. Would you believe that I didn't have to replace the front disc rotors until over 90k miles on it? Pretty wild - I really wasn't 'stretching' into unsafe-ness. replacement rotors lasted "only" 60k miles. Clutch still tight, zero oil consumed, and I'm not particularly diligent with changes (avg ~5k miles). Other than the exhaust heat shield getting loose more than once - 2 or 3 welding jobs over time to stop the noise, no odd/out of place troubles.

Favorite Features

Nimble little beast!

Suggested Improvements

Pretty much same as everyone else's. My only regret in buying this car is dealing with the road noise - worst on the tollways which unfortunately is where 90% of all my hours have been spent. Good tires don't help - I tried. I will pay extra next time for a quieter car!!!!

I loved this Mazda
By iheartmazda

2000 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I have had my Protege for almost 9 years. I have had very few repairs over the year. Very reliable! It is sporty and fun to drive and easy to handle. I am only selling for another Mazda!

Favorite Features

Reliability is great. Fun to handle.

Quality Auto
By Ted W. Lee

2000 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

In the ten yrs.that I have owned the car, with the exception of when the battery "died" it has never failed to start and has never stalled. It's always been parked outside(in Mich.) The only major negative problem has been the suspension the last couple of yrs. Going over the slightest bump results in a very noisy and "rattley" ride.It sounds and feels like the suspension system has completely failed.I have about 90000 miles on the car.The car still looks almost like new (because of a paint sealant applied each year.) Never a problem with wheel alignment(never had it done).

Favorite Features

Design and handling.