Used 2000 Mazda Protege Sedan Consumer Reviews - 88 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Mazda Protege Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2000 Mazda Protege Sedan

View reviews for a specific Protege model:

14 years of happy ownership
By MazdaGuy

2000 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

We have owned our 2000 DX with auto transmission for 14 years and 227,800 miles. Other than a new ECM about 8 years ago we have only completed oil changes every 3k miles and the occasional brake job (all completed by me).

At 225,000 I decided it was time to replace the ORIGINAL timing belt (which, believe it or not, didn't look too bad). At that time I also replaced the following:
Valve cover seal
Spark plugs
Cam seals
Crank seal
Water pump
Timing pulleys and tension spring
Struts
Control arms with lower ball joints
Replace 4 WTS tranny fluid
Outer tierod ends
New driver side axle

I completed all the work myself and it was fairly easy to complete..... All for about $800 in parts. If you are a do it yourself type of person then this car is for you. Very easy to work on.

I drive this car 60 miles per day and am confident it will make it to 300,000 miles.

Reliable, great quality & Excellent Value
By katspause

2000 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I bought my car brand new in Nov 1999. Regular maintenance (oil changes @ 4000 to 6000 miles), radiator flush, timing belt, etc, per manufacture's recommendation. This is my second Mazda (first was '84 Mazda 323 sedan-also brand new- drove over 250,000mi). My Protege has the original transmission (5speed manual) and engine. This car has spent 12 of it's nearly 16 years in northern winters. It's spent most of it's lifetime outdoors (no parking shelter) and started every time. Nothing has failed while driving. When the vehicle warranty expired, I prefer working with an outside mechanic shop. Yes, the car has rust, and has more exterior noise than the first day I drove it off the lot. There are a few small issues w/electronics (occasionally cd player doesn't work, & occasionally driver door lock must be manually operated). Minor stuff. The car starts every day, gets decent gas mileage. I'm still hoping for 400,000 miles, though it's possible the car may not make it. In any case, my experience is, that Mazda makes a fantastic product. If you're looking for value and reliability, this is the brand.

Excellent Small Car
By mazdafan94

2000 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Purchased my 2000 protege with the proper 5-speed manual in late 2012. Ever since I purchased it I had no mechanical problems. The 1.6ZM Engine runs like clock work and is zippy,the ride is somewhat comfortable, there are no squeaks and rattles, . However, I wish this car had more power.Another issue is rust. I noticed that the protege has the tendency to rust around the rear wheel arches. I talked to an auto body shop and they told me that Mazda during assembly the wheel arches had two pieces of metal spot welded and over time water and debris would seep in between the spot welds causing it to oxidize. Other than those two minor issues this vehicle is one of the most reliable and tough.

I like the exterior look the front looks somewhat aggressive and you can find eye-lids to make it more aggressive. despite being 15 years old, I can still find JDM (Japanese domestic market) parts for my protege after doing some research. I also found out that this car has many other names like Mazda Familia (Japan)manufactured from 1963-2003.5 , Ford Tierra, and Mazda Isamu Genki (Taiwan)manufactured from 2000-present day with parts! If you have a protege try to research foreign parts. You'll be surprised at what you'll find.

Next time, I would like the engine to have more power!

Basic Transportation
By canada2015

2000 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

We purchased our Mazda protege off a classified site for $1100 Canadian. It was as is but only required two tires and rear shoes for safety. We've had our protege for just over a year now and it has required minimal repairs such as front stabilizer links serpentine belts (there are two, there small and they tend to break). The 1.6L with the 4 speed automatic is good on fuel both in the city and the highway. The car had 249 000kms on it and it now has 305 000. It handles well in the winter but ONLY if winter tires are equipped. Currently the car runs and drives but when the temperature drops below -5 C the thermostat sticks open and we don't get any heat. I'd recommend this car to anyone.
At 305 000 kms we decided to finally retire the protege. It still drove fine but required front struts, rear brake job and rear wheel cylinder (its leaking like crazy and required brake fluid every two weeks, both rear bearing had 1/2 inch of play, the steering rack leaked at each inner tie rod and every single speaker was blown, and there were two holes in the frame due to the rough winters. but it just kept on going!

Love my protege
By jeannesmyname

2000 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I absolutely loved my Protege, it was very reliable, comfy, and fun to drive.
I put 150K on it. It also got excellent gas mileage.
It will not play burned cd's and had a year where I had to have the belt replaced a few times, since then it's been running like a top.
Just traded it in today for a newer car, but was sad to see it go.
I really hope it goes to a great home!

love everything about this car.

only thing they could do to make it better would be to have abs breaks.