2000 Mazda Protege DX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Mazda Protege - Consumer Reviews

2000 Protege Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:

Sort Reviews by

Basic Transportation
By canada2015

2000 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

We purchased our Mazda protege off a classified site for $1100 Canadian. It was as is but only required two tires and rear shoes for safety. We've had our protege for just over a year now and it has required minimal repairs such as front stabilizer links serpentine belts (there are two, there small and they tend to break). The 1.6L with the 4 speed automatic is good on fuel both in the city and the highway. The car had 249 000kms on it and it now has 280 000kms. It handles well in the winter but ONLY if winter tires are equipped. Currently the car runs and drives but when the temperature drops below -5 C the thermostat sticks open and we don't get any heat. I'd recommend this car to anyone.

Favorite Features

Two cup holders, four doors and it sips the gas. Reliable and roomy inside. The vehicle offers great visibility, acceptable handling and acceleration (until our front struts went bad).

Suggested Improvements

A better serpentine belt system. The two current serpentine belts are weak and my research (as well as my own experience) tells me that the belts like to last about a year. Then they break and leave you stranded on the side of the highway in the middle of winter. Secondly, the serpentine belts do not have an automatic tensioner! You have to manually adjust the belts every so often to keep them tight or it'll sequel like a pig. Timing belt needs to be done. Wish it was a chain.

LotsaMiles
By tedg

2000 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

We have had this car since it was new 11 years ago - it replaced another just like it that died on us, and it now has 224,500 miles on it. Though we are looking for a new vehicle, we plan to keep this one as a second vehicle for use locally. I was amazed that you give mpg as 25 - 27; we've never gotten less than 32, usually more, up to 38! Perhaps part of that is my exclusive use of Mobil 1 oil; with the vagaries of gas pump shut-offs, regardless, I feel 34-35 mpg is what we have (and continue to get) for mileage. Driving it's been a pleasure, though it's showing signs of age - noisiness, mostly.

Favorite Features

Snappy acceleration and good steering control; handles well on slick, snowy roads as well as dry pavement.

Suggested Improvements

Make a hybrid version.

Sad to let her go
By soosa

2000 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

I keep vehicles a very long time. This 2000 Protege DX was purchased used in 2002 and has been a reliable ride ever since. I mount 4 snow tires every winter and hold my own with the mid- size SUVs in Colorado winters. As an older woman taking solo road trips, I've laid the seats down in this hatchback sedan to sleep in the "capsule" when the tent was blowing away. I would never buy a car I couldn't sleep in! Don't know why I get an incredible 38-42 mpg, but I do. At 155,000 miles I replaced the clutch as the manual transmission took a beating on 1-70's slow crawls up into the mountains winter & summer. I'd keep her until 300,000 if I didn't have to go to an automatic for health reasons.

Peppy engine and trans
By opher123

2000 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

Bought this car from the dealer. It has a strong transmission as well as super handling on even wet pavement. The only thing i notice with this car are the belts which are very annoying and it's a common problem with this car.

Favorite Features

Super handling the best ever made!

Suggested Improvements

Poor belt adjustment design makes belts squeak loud when a/c is on. Had mechanic fix still a problem!

Red Raphaela the wonder car
By jolie

2000 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

Yes, the title is silly but that is actually my nickname for my 2000 Mazda Protege DX. She jumped out at me when I went to a Mazda dealership a couple of days after Christmas, 2000. Buying her was the smartest thing I ever did, transportation wise. She stayed looking like a new car for five years. Even now, she just has a scar on her back bumper and another tiny ding on the rear trunk. It's only because I have a habit of putting it in neutral at stop lights and twice someone bumped me when the light turned green (my foot wasn't on the brake to turn the brake lights on). In nine years, I have only had to replace belts and brake pads. Honest!

Favorite Features

Styling. Good sound system for a lower end car. Excellent fuel economy. I swear I get 40MPG on the highway. Fantastic reliability.

Suggested Improvements

This is the perfect, simple, no frills car. It won best subcompact of 2000 for a reason.

So in love
By Gabriela

2000 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

I've had my Protege for almost three years, it's my first car and I will never buy anything but a Mazda. I have never had any problems with it except with the oxygen sensor, but I think that was a defect in the the replacement. Gas mileage is under par, especially on the highway. I did have to replace the radio because the volume would go up when I was turning it down and the CD player didn't play burned CD's and I was spending too much money on real CD's. Other than that, P cuts like a jack knife and is so fun to drive. Acceleration is excellent and the interior is perfect, not to mention that the outside is so cute :)

Favorite Features

The front end: adorable. The bass in the sound system, speed and acceleration, the way it hugs the curves, size of the trunk, and size of the back seat.

Suggested Improvements

better radio quality, improved head lights.

Great Car!!
By brudragyn

2000 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car a month ago and I have to say I feel like I made one of the best decisions in my life. The protege has not let me down and it has now 114k miles on it. I haven't had to replace anything and its still running great. I am looking forward to keeping this car for the rest of my life :D hopefully it will be with me for a long time to come.

Favorite Features

Exterior: sporty yet casual looking Interior: rich looking plastic and fabrics, feels semi-luxurious.

Suggested Improvements

A little more rear passenger room perhaps but other than that I cant think of any.

The best handling, and fuel economy
By Opher

2000 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

I have had this car for the last 9 months, and I don't remember any car having such perfect handling in rain or winding roads. It sticks like super glue to the road, plus I drive it about 60 miles a day to work and get 34 mpg!

Favorite Features

Interior is like a much bigger car.

Suggested Improvements

Has just a little punch with the gas, however out of overdrive handles fine.

Last Mazda For Me!
By Lamrin

2000 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

This was my first new car. I regret the purchase. I should have gotten a Corolla. Gas mileage is a joke for a small 1.6L auto. I had the rad replaced twice under warranty. At 3 yrs I noticed rust on the bottom front passenger side door. I now have rust inside both rear wheel wells (winters are harsh where I live). AC no longer works and never blew very cold. CD player is extremely finicky. Sometimes it plays, sometimes not. I think it might be related to temperature and humidity. Volume goes up when turning it down. The OD button doesn't work anymore. Some dash lights in the tach are blown. The car is very reliable. It's never broken down on me. I like the interior and trunk space.

Favorite Features

Interior layout and colors. Trunk space.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage, better sheet metal to resist rust, upgrade the CD player with volume buttons that actually work.

My most dependable car ever
By Brian

2000 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

A great little dependable commuter. I've nothing but good things to say about the Protege. Mine has gone for 8 years and 220,000 miles. The only issues aside from routine maintenance were motor mounts, front wheel cv boots, and a front wheel bearing at approx. 150,000 miles. Considering my purchase price of 11k in 2000 new from the dealer this car cost me just $0.05 per mile. Looking forward to my next Mazda commuter.

Favorite Features

Dependability, cost.

Suggested Improvements

CD player, road noise.