2000 Mazda Protege - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:
LotsaMiles
By tedg on 09/12/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

We have had this car since it was new 11 years ago - it replaced another just like it that died on us, and it now has 224,500 miles on it. Though we are looking for a new vehicle, we plan to keep this one as a second vehicle for use locally. I was amazed that you give mpg as 25 - 27; we've never gotten less than 32, usually more, up to 38! Perhaps part of that is my exclusive use of Mobil 1 oil; with the vagaries of gas pump shut-offs, regardless, I feel 34-35 mpg is what we have (and continue to get) for mileage. Driving it's been a pleasure, though it's showing signs of age - noisiness, mostly.

Sad to let her go
By soosa on 08/05/10 06:29 AM (PDT)

2000 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

I keep vehicles a very long time. This 2000 Protege DX was purchased used in 2002 and has been a reliable ride ever since. I mount 4 snow tires every winter and hold my own with the mid- size SUVs in Colorado winters. As an older woman taking solo road trips, I've laid the seats down in this hatchback sedan to sleep in the "capsule" when the tent was blowing away. I would never buy a car I couldn't sleep in! Don't know why I get an incredible 38-42 mpg, but I do. At 155,000 miles I replaced the clutch as the manual transmission took a beating on 1-70's slow crawls up into the mountains winter & summer. I'd keep her until 300,000 if I didn't have to go to an automatic for health reasons.

Peppy engine and trans
By opher123 on 12/24/09 18:39 PM (PST)

2000 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

Bought this car from the dealer. It has a strong transmission as well as super handling on even wet pavement. The only thing i notice with this car are the belts which are very annoying and it's a common problem with this car.

Red Raphaela the wonder car
By jolie on 11/21/09 12:25 PM (PST)

2000 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

Yes, the title is silly but that is actually my nickname for my 2000 Mazda Protege DX. She jumped out at me when I went to a Mazda dealership a couple of days after Christmas, 2000. Buying her was the smartest thing I ever did, transportation wise. She stayed looking like a new car for five years. Even now, she just has a scar on her back bumper and another tiny ding on the rear trunk. It's only because I have a habit of putting it in neutral at stop lights and twice someone bumped me when the light turned green (my foot wasn't on the brake to turn the brake lights on). In nine years, I have only had to replace belts and brake pads. Honest!

So in love
By Gabriela on 04/18/09 20:58 PM (PDT)

2000 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

I've had my Protege for almost three years, it's my first car and I will never buy anything but a Mazda. I have never had any problems with it except with the oxygen sensor, but I think that was a defect in the the replacement. Gas mileage is under par, especially on the highway. I did have to replace the radio because the volume would go up when I was turning it down and the CD player didn't play burned CD's and I was spending too much money on real CD's. Other than that, P cuts like a jack knife and is so fun to drive. Acceleration is excellent and the interior is perfect, not to mention that the outside is so cute :)

Great Car!!
By brudragyn on 03/03/09 23:06 PM (PST)

2000 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car a month ago and I have to say I feel like I made one of the best decisions in my life. The protege has not let me down and it has now 114k miles on it. I haven't had to replace anything and its still running great. I am looking forward to keeping this car for the rest of my life :D hopefully it will be with me for a long time to come.

The best handling, and fuel economy
By Opher on 09/09/08 12:56 PM (PDT)

2000 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

I have had this car for the last 9 months, and I don't remember any car having such perfect handling in rain or winding roads. It sticks like super glue to the road, plus I drive it about 60 miles a day to work and get 34 mpg!

Last Mazda For Me!
By Lamrin on 07/17/08 16:58 PM (PDT)

2000 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

This was my first new car. I regret the purchase. I should have gotten a Corolla. Gas mileage is a joke for a small 1.6L auto. I had the rad replaced twice under warranty. At 3 yrs I noticed rust on the bottom front passenger side door. I now have rust inside both rear wheel wells (winters are harsh where I live). AC no longer works and never blew very cold. CD player is extremely finicky. Sometimes it plays, sometimes not. I think it might be related to temperature and humidity. Volume goes up when turning it down. The OD button doesn't work anymore. Some dash lights in the tach are blown. The car is very reliable. It's never broken down on me. I like the interior and trunk space.

My most dependable car ever
By Brian on 06/17/08 16:09 PM (PDT)

2000 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

A great little dependable commuter. I've nothing but good things to say about the Protege. Mine has gone for 8 years and 220,000 miles. The only issues aside from routine maintenance were motor mounts, front wheel cv boots, and a front wheel bearing at approx. 150,000 miles. Considering my purchase price of 11k in 2000 new from the dealer this car cost me just $0.05 per mile. Looking forward to my next Mazda commuter.

Good used car
By dvx on 06/07/07 12:29 PM (PDT)

2000 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

Had this for a year, bought used with 60k miles on it. Only had to get recall work done (mass air sensor replacement), replace brakes, and oil changes. Very reliable, built-in-Japan commuting car.