Used 2000 Mazda Protege Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Mazda Protege - Consumer Reviews

2000 Mazda Protege

View reviews for a specific Protege model:

Excellent Small Car
By mazdafan94

2000 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

Purchased my 2000 protege with the proper 5-speed manual in late 2012. Ever since I purchased it I had no mechanical problems. The 1.6ZM Engine runs like clock work and is zippy,the ride is somewhat comfortable, there are no squeaks and rattles, . However, I wish this car had more power.Another issue is rust. I noticed that the protege has the tendency to rust around the rear wheel arches. I talked to an auto body shop and they told me that Mazda during assembly the wheel arches had two pieces of metal spot welded and over time water and debris would seep in between the spot welds causing it to oxidize. Other than those two minor issues this vehicle is one of the most reliable and tough.

Favorite Features

I like the exterior look the front looks somewhat aggressive and you can find eye-lids to make it more aggressive. despite being 15 years old, I can still find JDM (Japanese domestic market) parts for my protege after doing some research. I also found out that this car has many other names like Mazda Familia (Japan)manufactured from 1963-2003.5 , Ford Tierra, and Mazda Isamu Genki (Taiwan)manufactured from 2000-present day with parts! If you have a protege try to research foreign parts. You'll be surprised at what you'll find.

Suggested Improvements

Next time, I would like the engine to have more power!

Basic Transportation
By canada2015

2000 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

We purchased our Mazda protege off a classified site for $1100 Canadian. It was as is but only required two tires and rear shoes for safety. We've had our protege for just over a year now and it has required minimal repairs such as front stabilizer links serpentine belts (there are two, there small and they tend to break). The 1.6L with the 4 speed automatic is good on fuel both in the city and the highway. The car had 249 000kms on it and it now has 280 000kms. It handles well in the winter but ONLY if winter tires are equipped. Currently the car runs and drives but when the temperature drops below -5 C the thermostat sticks open and we don't get any heat. I'd recommend this car to anyone.

Favorite Features

Two cup holders, four doors and it sips the gas. Reliable and roomy inside. The vehicle offers great visibility, acceptable handling and acceleration (until our front struts went bad).

Suggested Improvements

A better serpentine belt system. The two current serpentine belts are weak and my research (as well as my own experience) tells me that the belts like to last about a year. Then they break and leave you stranded on the side of the highway in the middle of winter. Secondly, the serpentine belts do not have an automatic tensioner! You have to manually adjust the belts every so often to keep them tight or it'll sequel like a pig. Timing belt needs to be done. Wish it was a chain.

Love my protege
By jeannesmyname

2000 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

I absolutely loved my Protege, it was very reliable, comfy, and fun to drive. I put 150K on it. It also got excellent gas mileage. It will not play burned cd's and had a year where I had to have the belt replaced a few times, since then it's been running like a top. Just traded it in today for a newer car, but was sad to see it go. I really hope it goes to a great home!

Favorite Features

love everything about this car.

Suggested Improvements

only thing they could do to make it better would be to have abs breaks.

LotsaMiles
By tedg

2000 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

We have had this car since it was new 11 years ago - it replaced another just like it that died on us, and it now has 224,500 miles on it. Though we are looking for a new vehicle, we plan to keep this one as a second vehicle for use locally. I was amazed that you give mpg as 25 - 27; we've never gotten less than 32, usually more, up to 38! Perhaps part of that is my exclusive use of Mobil 1 oil; with the vagaries of gas pump shut-offs, regardless, I feel 34-35 mpg is what we have (and continue to get) for mileage. Driving it's been a pleasure, though it's showing signs of age - noisiness, mostly.

Favorite Features

Snappy acceleration and good steering control; handles well on slick, snowy roads as well as dry pavement.

Suggested Improvements

Make a hybrid version.

Sad to let her go
By soosa

2000 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

I keep vehicles a very long time. This 2000 Protege DX was purchased used in 2002 and has been a reliable ride ever since. I mount 4 snow tires every winter and hold my own with the mid- size SUVs in Colorado winters. As an older woman taking solo road trips, I've laid the seats down in this hatchback sedan to sleep in the "capsule" when the tent was blowing away. I would never buy a car I couldn't sleep in! Don't know why I get an incredible 38-42 mpg, but I do. At 155,000 miles I replaced the clutch as the manual transmission took a beating on 1-70's slow crawls up into the mountains winter & summer. I'd keep her until 300,000 if I didn't have to go to an automatic for health reasons.