2000 Mazda Protege - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:
Love my protege
By jeannesmyname on 12/30/10 21:45 PM (PST)

2000 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

I absolutely loved my Protege, it was very reliable, comfy, and fun to drive. I put 150K on it. It also got excellent gas mileage. It will not play burned cd's and had a year where I had to have the belt replaced a few times, since then it's been running like a top. Just traded it in today for a newer car, but was sad to see it go. I really hope it goes to a great home!

LotsaMiles
By tedg on 09/12/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

We have had this car since it was new 11 years ago - it replaced another just like it that died on us, and it now has 224,500 miles on it. Though we are looking for a new vehicle, we plan to keep this one as a second vehicle for use locally. I was amazed that you give mpg as 25 - 27; we've never gotten less than 32, usually more, up to 38! Perhaps part of that is my exclusive use of Mobil 1 oil; with the vagaries of gas pump shut-offs, regardless, I feel 34-35 mpg is what we have (and continue to get) for mileage. Driving it's been a pleasure, though it's showing signs of age - noisiness, mostly.

Sad to let her go
By soosa on 08/05/10 06:29 AM (PDT)

2000 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

I keep vehicles a very long time. This 2000 Protege DX was purchased used in 2002 and has been a reliable ride ever since. I mount 4 snow tires every winter and hold my own with the mid- size SUVs in Colorado winters. As an older woman taking solo road trips, I've laid the seats down in this hatchback sedan to sleep in the "capsule" when the tent was blowing away. I would never buy a car I couldn't sleep in! Don't know why I get an incredible 38-42 mpg, but I do. At 155,000 miles I replaced the clutch as the manual transmission took a beating on 1-70's slow crawls up into the mountains winter & summer. I'd keep her until 300,000 if I didn't have to go to an automatic for health reasons.

Aint she cute? and Sporty too!
By Betty on 04/01/10 18:41 PM (PDT)

2000 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan

Bought this car about 1 1/2 yrs ago w/73k miles on it, little 'ol lady owned it, now has about 107k. Figured we'd get good mpg since it's small, about 28 avg. right now, better than 17 we replaced it with! Really wanted a manual transmission, that would have really made it even more fun to drive, and probably better mpg. Put synthetic oil in at about 80k miles after lots of research and believe that made a difference. We all enjoy the drive (ages 19-50), handles real good, tires can make BIG difference though! Four bangers seem to be a little noisy but after we replaced bearings due to accident it made quite a difference! Picks up & go's pretty good and overall Nice car!

Very reliable, very average
By orniflect on 01/13/10 13:19 PM (PST)

2000 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

I own the stick shift model. 90% highway miles for its entire life (175k miles so far). Averaging 32-33 mpg for entire life. It's aging as expected - can definitely tell it's not immortal; little things breaking, but nothing big yet. Would you believe that I didn't have to replace the front disc rotors until over 90k miles on it? Pretty wild - I really wasn't 'stretching' into unsafe-ness. replacement rotors lasted "only" 60k miles. Clutch still tight, zero oil consumed, and I'm not particularly diligent with changes (avg ~5k miles). Other than the exhaust heat shield getting loose more than once - 2 or 3 welding jobs over time to stop the noise, no odd/out of place troubles.

Peppy engine and trans
By opher123 on 12/24/09 18:39 PM (PST)

2000 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

Bought this car from the dealer. It has a strong transmission as well as super handling on even wet pavement. The only thing i notice with this car are the belts which are very annoying and it's a common problem with this car.

Red Raphaela the wonder car
By jolie on 11/21/09 12:25 PM (PST)

2000 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

Yes, the title is silly but that is actually my nickname for my 2000 Mazda Protege DX. She jumped out at me when I went to a Mazda dealership a couple of days after Christmas, 2000. Buying her was the smartest thing I ever did, transportation wise. She stayed looking like a new car for five years. Even now, she just has a scar on her back bumper and another tiny ding on the rear trunk. It's only because I have a habit of putting it in neutral at stop lights and twice someone bumped me when the light turned green (my foot wasn't on the brake to turn the brake lights on). In nine years, I have only had to replace belts and brake pads. Honest!

I loved this Mazda
By iheartmazda on 11/20/09 21:50 PM (PST)

2000 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

I have had my Protege for almost 9 years. I have had very few repairs over the year. Very reliable! It is sporty and fun to drive and easy to handle. I am only selling for another Mazda!

I loved my car.
By zachisawesome on 11/01/09 00:28 AM (PDT)

2000 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 2004 and kept it until this year when I unfortunately crashed it. It was a wonderfully reliable car in the 5 years I owned it. The battery failed once but I cleaned the alternator and it was back to charging just fine, and never failed again. Handled great except in rain, but that could have been tires and brakes getting old. Never had a problem with the CD player volume not working like some people have said. Interior and exterior was still holding up well. It only went into the shop once for regular maintenance though needed to go back for brakes and suspension. Definitely a much nicer car than my friend's civics and corollas, and just as reliable. I loved this car

Quality Auto
By Ted W. Lee on 09/03/09 19:45 PM (PDT)

2000 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

In the ten yrs.that I have owned the car, with the exception of when the battery "died" it has never failed to start and has never stalled. It's always been parked outside(in Mich.) The only major negative problem has been the suspension the last couple of yrs. Going over the slightest bump results in a very noisy and "rattley" ride.It sounds and feels like the suspension system has completely failed.I have about 90000 miles on the car.The car still looks almost like new (because of a paint sealant applied each year.) Never a problem with wheel alignment(never had it done).