1999 Mazda Protege 1.8L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - Still a great car!

1999 Mazda Protege - Consumer Review

1999 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan

ES Sedan (1.8L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

Still a great car!
By LeiInSeattle on

1999 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan

I bought this car brand new after graduation from college back in May, 1999. ES model I added powered sunroof. When I drove out of the dealer room, it's only 13 miles on its odometer, now it's almost 47000 miles. So far I had 3 problems, first happened in Twin Cities, MN in 2000, check sign was always on falsely, esp. during rainy and damp days, finally fixed it after several trips; Next happened in 2002 CD player didn't work, probably due to some scrached CD effect, changed a new player and another to make it work again. Both of above were under warranty. So I didn't pay a buck at all.

Favorite Features

Now my third problem is one of back powered window didn't work, you have to manually open and close it, no biggie, can live without it, but noise it made is annoying every time. elegant exterior and roomy interior, good mileage and decent sound system;

Suggested Improvements

Negative side, noisy during drive on the highway and limited horsepower; After all, it's an excellent car, I am aiming at driving to 100 K without major overhaul, let's wait and see its performance.