1999 Mazda Protege - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:
My Valintine's Day Lover (its red)
By BobbyHarrington on 02/09/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

Although The Cd Player is already broke it is still all in all a good car. It stops fast and I haven't rolled it yet. I have gone pretty fast around some of those turns.

Nice Car
By Jake36 on 08/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan

It is a nice car to have and i only had one small problem with the car. Mazda sent me a recall letter saying that i have a defected coil ignition.

Engine pinging
By Mili on 08/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

Good car overall, but I have been disappointed with the engine pinging, dealer replace MAF sensor and did not fixed it, I have to switch to high octane gas 89 or better and that took care of the pinging also the steering wheel is not sharp on center.

great economy car
By anony on 07/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

Been using the car for 3 1/2 years, no maintenance charges at all except the usual oil changes, and a battery that was was replaced recently. Performance is very good to go.

1999 Protege ES
By mazdany on 06/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan

Great Car. Has good low end pick up. Very responsive engine. Engine is not as peaky as a 99 Civic and has more gusto than a 99 Corolla. Transmission is easy to use and shifts smoothly. Handling and acceleration are excellent for this type of car. Interior feels airy, comfortable and avoids the cramped "econobox" feeling. Back seat is even roomy for adults. The trunk is spacious. You don't feel like you "settled" for this car.

Still A "GLC" - Great Little Car
By caneshooter on 05/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

No hype here, just the facts. Just passed the 3 year mark on ownership of this car. At 77k miles, besides oil changes and new tires, my first repair was a month ago, and that was just new front brakes. I think that speaks for itself. I've also owned a GLC and 323 in the past.

99 Protege ES
By nickola on 05/01/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan

This is truely a great car. I purchased my 99 Mazda Protege used in March and love it. My dealership is full of lying pricks though. Nothing new. I have had to have the Catalytic converter changed on the car at 30,000 miles because the previous owners used it around here only in the winter. Otherwise I have not run across any problems at all. The Mazda Protege is worth a look.

Perfect Protege
By St. Denis on 04/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

I've been very impressed with the Mazda Protege's performance and quality. Everything seems solid and well-made. My mileage is in the high 30's and even though it only has the 1.6 liter engine, it is really peppy.

Good Daily Commuter
By Protege-ing on 04/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan

It's a peppy little car, though I'd rather have the manual than the automatic that I have(passed down in family). Little rattles and noises here and there, but nothing major, 45,000 miles and still going strong!

Frequently overlooked
By status on 04/02/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

Great little car with personality that's also painless to own. Comfortable and roomy, great ergonomics, nice styling. I bought the car over a Civic because Mazda got all the basics right for $1500 less. It's a completely underrated car.