Used 1999 Mazda Protege DX Sedan Consumer Reviews - 12 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Mazda Protege Sedan - Consumer Reviews

1999 Mazda Protege Sedan

View reviews for a specific Protege model:

170k Miles, Still Strong No, Major Repairs
By Chris M.

1999 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I drive the 5 speed mannual.

Inherited it from my dad who put 90k on it. I love this car. It's pretty basic in terms of style and mechanics. To me that's the beauty in it all. It was perfect for a college kid. Easy to maintain.

I have hand no major problems with this car. Just normal wear and tear. The biggest issue I ever had was replacing the intake manifold. It failed due to rust. Luckily I have access to a great junkyard got parts for pennies.

Car is so easy to service, I do it all by myself.

Interior is basic cloth, manual widows etc. But I have no rips in the seats and everything works.

Oh and this car still has the original clutch. Never had any leaks, the engine bay is dry.

Would Def buy another

Love it.
By mazdalove

1999 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I've been with this car for 10 years. My parents bought it brand new and now it's been in my ownership for a year now. It's been 10 years, and it is a great car. It's reliable and totally affordable. Fuel economy is great for the age of the car and it makes a great family car too. All in all, it is a nice car :)

I love the size of the car. It's perfect.

More horsepower!

Durable and reliable
By redrobin

1999 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I bought it used, it came from a rental fleet. It has been absolutely trouble-free with routine maintenance even after a significant accident that needed major repair and another fender- bender (literally) once repairs were made, I have had years of trouble free use. Definitely would recommend, and would buy another if they still made them.

Fuel economy and reliability. Also able to carry an surprising amount of cargo with the rear seats down (twin bed, Christmas trees, lots of boxes) .

Road noise is high. Also a little sluggish to accelerate uphill (like an uphill on-ramp) if the air conditioning is on -- but still adequate and safe.

Good car for the money
By mjones78

1999 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used with 36k on it, today I have 185k on it. Its starting to run rough, but I have driven it very hard! I have changed all the belts, hoses, radiator, and some small things. The AC just went out last fall. (radiator only went because of the thermostat). In the 6 years, it's broken down 3 times, and its been through an accident where I t-boned someone, so I would say this car has definitely given me all it could!!! Great car for the money.

CD player is picky about what it wants to play.

My Car
By Mavis Gardner

My Mazda has given me good service. It
has never stopped on the road nor
caused me any concern. I always take
good care and get maintenance when
necessry,