Used 1999 Mazda Protege Sedan Consumer Reviews - 53 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Mazda Protege Sedan - Consumer Reviews

1999 Mazda Protege Sedan

View reviews for a specific Protege model:

170k Miles, Still Strong No, Major Repairs
By Chris M.

1999 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I drive the 5 speed mannual.

Inherited it from my dad who put 90k on it. I love this car. It's pretty basic in terms of style and mechanics. To me that's the beauty in it all. It was perfect for a college kid. Easy to maintain.

I have hand no major problems with this car. Just normal wear and tear. The biggest issue I ever had was replacing the intake manifold. It failed due to rust. Luckily I have access to a great junkyard got parts for pennies.

Car is so easy to service, I do it all by myself.

Interior is basic cloth, manual widows etc. But I have no rips in the seats and everything works.

Oh and this car still has the original clutch. Never had any leaks, the engine bay is dry.

Would Def buy another

1999 Mazda Protege
By Edgar H

1999 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

This car is overall great! I bought it used
Three years ago is is still running like new! Exterior can use a paint job but the engine not giving issues is the number priority ! Always do required maintenance to it, only issues it has given me was a faulty camshaft sensor,alternator and cv axles but thats just normal wear and tear nothing major, love this car saves me gas and money and dont plan to get rid of it anytime soon.

The most reliable/most boring car ever.
By J. Victor

1999 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

I've owned and driven this car going into my 3rd Michigan winter, and aside from routine oil changes and brake maintanence, have had ZERO problems with this car. It's been a rock solid little go-kart. It's also totally boring. I might think higher of it with a splash of color (as mine is silver with grey interior), and it has no fun toys to speak of (typical PW/PL/cruise) but I can count on it to run and run well. Engine still has some 'zoomzoom' even after 170K miles. Very impressed with this thing's longevity.

Build quality, reliability

Styling (they did so with the 3), better suspension, less road noise.

Best car I've ever had
By tamonet

1999 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

Bought it new in 2000, only repairs have been new brakes, alternator, battery and rocker arm. I've only put 90,000 miles on it, luckily, but it just keeps on running. Gas mileage has consistently been 27-28. It's a little loud on the freeway, but not bad for an inexpensive small car. Only disappointment has been the radio.

Acceleration is great, even after 10 years of driving. Handles well with small turning radius. Lots of fun!

Would love a remote trunk latch, and if the noise issue were solved, it would be about perfect.

Stylish, fun to drive daily commuter
By zitro1987

1999 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Background: My parents bought the car in 1999 and I got ownership by mid- 2005. The car is still doing well but starting to show its age. Despite being intended as an economical vehicle with great mileage, it looks beautiful in green and has above average handling for its class, making driving a more enjoyable experience. The fun is enhanced by its features such as cruise control. Driving on hilly roads can be a bit of issue due to small engine but it was a needed sacrifice for better mileage. Reliability is rather average as the car needed some costly repairs during these eleven years.

Fuel economy for 1999: I hit around 30- 35 mpg on highways. An enjoyable driving experience. Outstanding external design despite mazda3s being superior in that department.

Road noise is a common Mazda complaint and this car is an example of it: sound insulation is inadequate, but not overly so. Door rubbers are lousy and acceleration can be a problem with the A/C on, especially when going uphill. Seat design is a bit rough for thin people during long trips.