1999 Mazda Protege - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:
Stylish, fun to drive daily commuter
By zitro1987 on 07/18/10 07:51 AM (PDT)

1999 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

Background: My parents bought the car in 1999 and I got ownership by mid- 2005. The car is still doing well but starting to show its age. Despite being intended as an economical vehicle with great mileage, it looks beautiful in green and has above average handling for its class, making driving a more enjoyable experience. The fun is enhanced by its features such as cruise control. Driving on hilly roads can be a bit of issue due to small engine but it was a needed sacrifice for better mileage. Reliability is rather average as the car needed some costly repairs during these eleven years.

Mediocre Mazda
By meh. on 12/13/09 23:48 PM (PST)

1999 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

My Mazda was a college gift from my parents bought in great condition. I learned stick in this car and it was very smooth. The gas mileage was also great, and being a college commuter who drives 60miles a day to and from school, the gas was quite cheap. Got in one accident with a deer that completely demolished the car costing around three grand to fix (fix enough to pass inspection that is). The a/c has broken, check engine light is very flighty, had many pipe clogs, brakes failed... all within six months of purchase.

Great little car
By Pete on 02/25/09 15:46 PM (PST)

1999 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

I have always been a truck person, but bought this car to limit my annual mileage on my truck. This has been a great car that I bought cheaply with 87K on it. I changed the timing belt, and change the oil every 6K with synthetic. I now have 143K on it, and it runs better than when I bought it. I use it like a truck, and even have hauled my jetski with it. It just has a little trouble pulling it out of the lake but manages. It gets between 30 and 34 MPG with a mix of freeway and town driving. It's not the fastest for sure, but it is sufficient, except on big hills.

glad i baught this car!
By mazdafan on 02/20/09 00:13 AM (PST)

1999 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

I bought a new protege in 99, the car has always been really trustworthy! The car really hasn't had any real problems besides normal maint (alternator, oil changes, brakes etc.) I have always kept up maint on this car and has allowed this car to still run just like it did when I drove it off the lot even after 311,000 miles! I have never had to do any Major engine or trans work on this car and still trust it enough to make 3 400 mile trips a week! On the highway it gets about 35-40 mpg and citywise mid20s to lower 30s! One complaint is that the cupholders are to small and are placed too close to the dash and shifter. Also long trips the seats can get uncomfortable! But great car and value!

626 sedan
By Oundle on 07/30/08 23:46 PM (PDT)

1999 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

So reliable, I've been the only owner and driver to date. 8 yrs of trouble free motoring.

"Maybe this is just a bad one"
By Ryan on 01/11/07 13:16 PM (PST)

1999 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

This car has been nothing but problems. Bad brakes, transmission, spark plug, speakers, and etc. It is the slowest car on the road! It also handles bad and shakes at high speeds.

good reliable car
By Maline Johnney on 04/19/06 10:56 AM (PDT)

1999 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

When I purchased this vehicle it was used with 24,000. The only major expense was the 02 sensor and a oil leak from the transmission after traveling 159,000 miles. This vehicle has traveled from Wyoming to North Carolina numerous times and continues to allow me to travel to another state bimonthly to take care of my mother. Would recommend this to anyone who is looking for an economical value and a reliable car. Looking to purchase another Mazda along the lines of the new CX-7. Just have to save up for it.

The worst car I ever had
By Mariya Gromyko on 11/05/04 19:43 PM (PST)

1999 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

A lot of noise from the road. Transmission failed after 46,000 miles. Bad customer service.

protege
By manda on 06/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

I love my Protege

Katie's Review
By Katiemarie791 on 02/29/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

Great Car! i am a 17 year old who just needed some wheels to get me to school, work, etc. and the mazda is perfect for me!