Used 1999 Mazda Protege DX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Mazda Protege - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:

Love it.
By mazdalove

1999 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

I've been with this car for 10 years. My parents bought it brand new and now it's been in my ownership for a year now. It's been 10 years, and it is a great car. It's reliable and totally affordable. Fuel economy is great for the age of the car and it makes a great family car too. All in all, it is a nice car :)

I love the size of the car. It's perfect.

More horsepower!

Durable and reliable
By redrobin

1999 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

I bought it used, it came from a rental fleet. It has been absolutely trouble-free with routine maintenance even after a significant accident that needed major repair and another fender- bender (literally) once repairs were made, I have had years of trouble free use. Definitely would recommend, and would buy another if they still made them.

Fuel economy and reliability. Also able to carry an surprising amount of cargo with the rear seats down (twin bed, Christmas trees, lots of boxes) .

Road noise is high. Also a little sluggish to accelerate uphill (like an uphill on-ramp) if the air conditioning is on -- but still adequate and safe.

Good car for the money
By mjones78

1999 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used with 36k on it, today I have 185k on it. Its starting to run rough, but I have driven it very hard! I have changed all the belts, hoses, radiator, and some small things. The AC just went out last fall. (radiator only went because of the thermostat). In the 6 years, it's broken down 3 times, and its been through an accident where I t-boned someone, so I would say this car has definitely given me all it could!!! Great car for the money.

CD player is picky about what it wants to play.

My Car
By Mavis Gardner

1999 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

My Mazda has given me good service. It has never stopped on the road nor caused me any concern. I always take good care and get maintenance when necessry,

cruise control

damn good car
By hi ther

1999 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

best car i have ever owned

• SUV