1999 Mazda Protege - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:
Love it.
By mazdalove on 02/26/09 11:20 AM (PST)

1999 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

I've been with this car for 10 years. My parents bought it brand new and now it's been in my ownership for a year now. It's been 10 years, and it is a great car. It's reliable and totally affordable. Fuel economy is great for the age of the car and it makes a great family car too. All in all, it is a nice car :)

Durable and reliable
By redrobin on 12/23/08 09:24 AM (PST)

1999 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

I bought it used, it came from a rental fleet. It has been absolutely trouble-free with routine maintenance even after a significant accident that needed major repair and another fender- bender (literally) once repairs were made, I have had years of trouble free use. Definitely would recommend, and would buy another if they still made them.

Good car for the money
By mjones78 on 04/25/07 18:16 PM (PDT)

1999 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used with 36k on it, today I have 185k on it. Its starting to run rough, but I have driven it very hard! I have changed all the belts, hoses, radiator, and some small things. The AC just went out last fall. (radiator only went because of the thermostat). In the 6 years, it's broken down 3 times, and its been through an accident where I t-boned someone, so I would say this car has definitely given me all it could!!! Great car for the money.

My Car
By Mavis Gardner on 07/13/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

My Mazda has given me good service. It has never stopped on the road nor caused me any concern. I always take good care and get maintenance when necessry,

a WONDERFUL car to own
By jonette rorigas on 02/20/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

most wonderful car i have ever own i would buy nothing but this ever again

damn good car
By hi ther on 02/20/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

best car i have ever owned

Excellent car; underappreciated name
By glent33 on 01/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

I've been driving this car almost every day for 4 years, and it has not failed me a bit. It has been reliable, durable and economical. The car certainly is underappreciated, which works for me because I did not have to spend a fortune to buy it. Overall an excellent vehicle. As testament to the Mazda value, I decided to buy a Mazda Tribute as 2nd care for treacherous winter driving.

Reliable little workhorse
By 99ProtegeOwner on 12/26/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

I purchased a 99 Protege DX (used for only 5 months - repo'ed) in 1/00 for my wife. I have had to invest no money in this car other than for gas and oil. No electrical problems, no mechanical problems. Comfortable for our family of four. Adequate acceleration for a 1.6 auto; don't expect to be pushed back into your seat. Good fuel economy - high 20s to low 30s in mostly urban driving. Nice, conservative styling. Could use more sound insulation, though. I recently acquired a Montero for my wife, and plan to use the Protege myself - it'll make a good substitute for my 96 VW Jetta money pit.

Love it
By TX on 07/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

Replaced O2 sensor 2 years ago (under warranty). Got new tires at 34000 miles. Oil changes every 3000 miles and that is it. Not bad at all for 63000 miles so far.

My Valintine's Day Lover (its red)
By BobbyHarrington on 02/09/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

Although The Cd Player is already broke it is still all in all a good car. It stops fast and I haven't rolled it yet. I have gone pretty fast around some of those turns.