1999 Mazda Protege - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:
The most reliable/most boring car ever.
By J. Victor on 11/24/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan

I've owned and driven this car going into my 3rd Michigan winter, and aside from routine oil changes and brake maintanence, have had ZERO problems with this car. It's been a rock solid little go-kart. It's also totally boring. I might think higher of it with a splash of color (as mine is silver with grey interior), and it has no fun toys to speak of (typical PW/PL/cruise) but I can count on it to run and run well. Engine still has some 'zoomzoom' even after 170K miles. Very impressed with this thing's longevity.

Best car I've ever had
By tamonet on 09/20/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan

Bought it new in 2000, only repairs have been new brakes, alternator, battery and rocker arm. I've only put 90,000 miles on it, luckily, but it just keeps on running. Gas mileage has consistently been 27-28. It's a little loud on the freeway, but not bad for an inexpensive small car. Only disappointment has been the radio.

Stylish, fun to drive daily commuter
By zitro1987 on 07/18/10 07:51 AM (PDT)

1999 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

Background: My parents bought the car in 1999 and I got ownership by mid- 2005. The car is still doing well but starting to show its age. Despite being intended as an economical vehicle with great mileage, it looks beautiful in green and has above average handling for its class, making driving a more enjoyable experience. The fun is enhanced by its features such as cruise control. Driving on hilly roads can be a bit of issue due to small engine but it was a needed sacrifice for better mileage. Reliability is rather average as the car needed some costly repairs during these eleven years.

Superior Ride
By tennesseejed on 02/14/10 18:25 PM (PST)

1999 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan

I have owned my Protege for almost 3 years and have very much enjoyed the experience! It now has 162k and everything, including the power windows and moonroof, is still working well.

Mediocre Mazda
By meh. on 12/13/09 23:48 PM (PST)

1999 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

My Mazda was a college gift from my parents bought in great condition. I learned stick in this car and it was very smooth. The gas mileage was also great, and being a college commuter who drives 60miles a day to and from school, the gas was quite cheap. Got in one accident with a deer that completely demolished the car costing around three grand to fix (fix enough to pass inspection that is). The a/c has broken, check engine light is very flighty, had many pipe clogs, brakes failed... all within six months of purchase.

Love it.
By mazdalove on 02/26/09 11:20 AM (PST)

1999 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

I've been with this car for 10 years. My parents bought it brand new and now it's been in my ownership for a year now. It's been 10 years, and it is a great car. It's reliable and totally affordable. Fuel economy is great for the age of the car and it makes a great family car too. All in all, it is a nice car :)

Great little car
By Pete on 02/25/09 15:46 PM (PST)

1999 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

I have always been a truck person, but bought this car to limit my annual mileage on my truck. This has been a great car that I bought cheaply with 87K on it. I changed the timing belt, and change the oil every 6K with synthetic. I now have 143K on it, and it runs better than when I bought it. I use it like a truck, and even have hauled my jetski with it. It just has a little trouble pulling it out of the lake but manages. It gets between 30 and 34 MPG with a mix of freeway and town driving. It's not the fastest for sure, but it is sufficient, except on big hills.

glad i baught this car!
By mazdafan on 02/20/09 00:13 AM (PST)

1999 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

I bought a new protege in 99, the car has always been really trustworthy! The car really hasn't had any real problems besides normal maint (alternator, oil changes, brakes etc.) I have always kept up maint on this car and has allowed this car to still run just like it did when I drove it off the lot even after 311,000 miles! I have never had to do any Major engine or trans work on this car and still trust it enough to make 3 400 mile trips a week! On the highway it gets about 35-40 mpg and citywise mid20s to lower 30s! One complaint is that the cupholders are to small and are placed too close to the dash and shifter. Also long trips the seats can get uncomfortable! But great car and value!

Durable and reliable
By redrobin on 12/23/08 09:24 AM (PST)

1999 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

I bought it used, it came from a rental fleet. It has been absolutely trouble-free with routine maintenance even after a significant accident that needed major repair and another fender- bender (literally) once repairs were made, I have had years of trouble free use. Definitely would recommend, and would buy another if they still made them.

Would not buy another one
By ronbchamp on 12/07/08 11:39 AM (PST)

1999 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan

This car has not been too bad overall but it has had some issues with idling which have never been resolved. It's a problem in the cold climate of Canada. When it gets very cold it cranks really slow then floods. The CD player is junk - sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. The rocker panels rust almost as fast as a GM or Ford. Maybe because Mazda is now owned by Ford and is no longer a true import. Buy a Toyota and you won't see that kind of rust on it so fast and they start easy at even minus 40 deg F.