Used 1998 Mazda Protege Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Mazda Protege - Consumer Reviews

1998 Mazda Protege

View reviews for a specific Protege model:

Sweet car
By iBlue

1998 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

My wife drives this car. She loves it since day one. It's as sweet as her. Everything runs great so far and she praises it more than me:( As the passenger (sometimes), I would like to complaint its comfortness. But I am not sure the discomfort is caused by the car design or my wife 's poor driving skills/habits... Anyway, I bought a Mazda later too.

Favorite Features

Roomy front passenger seat. Reliability. Feul efficiency excellent. Make my wife happy!

Suggested Improvements

Improve passenger's comfortness.

Love my 5 year old Protege!
By jalth

1998 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

I have had my car for over 5 years now, bought it with 30 miles on it. I drive it about 11,000 miles a year. This car has been so good to me. I have only had 1 minor problem so far with it, the shifter froze one winter and wouldn't shift, but that was fixed years ago. This car has been so dependable, I would recommend to anyone.

Favorite Features

dependable, reliable, very roomy, great with gas

Suggested Improvements

a little more power, would be nice if 14-inch tires came standard with car.

Great Buy!
By Brad H.

1998 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

1998 Mazda Protege LX has been my best used car purchase ever. I got a great deal on a clean model and other than changing the timing belt as a preventative maintenance item, I have had no expenses other than gas and oil. Smooth ride, adequate performance (even with the 4-speed auto), and good handling have made me a happy owner.

Favorite Features

LX model includes A/C, cruise control, tilt wheel, CD player, power windows, locks, and mirrors - all standard and all work flawlessly.

Suggested Improvements

A tad more power, which has been added to later models, would be nice.

Never been impressed more!
By Civad

1998 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

This is my first car (used). I bought it at 53,300 miles, and currently at 65k miles, I haven't had too many troubles with it. I drive the car off road as well, most often without any problems. The fuel economy is good at 30 MPG city/highway mix. Overall, I am pretty impressed with this car. After spending over $1k in the past year over scheduled maintenance and/or parts replacements, (including 60K scheduled service) my mechanic says that my car is as good as new :).

Favorite Features

The car is roomy. This includes rear seats. I havent heard anyone complain when more than three people travel.

Suggested Improvements

The car is too noisy. (I only hope this will be true some day!!) All Wheel Drive??

Protege
By Freak

1998 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

The car is a nice car, but not too many upgrades out there to add on. Only one body kit and hardly no engine upgrades. An engine swap is almost a must in order to gain 200+hp.

Favorite Features

the cars tight steering.

Suggested Improvements

more after market add-ons