Used 1998 Mazda Protege Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Mazda Protege - Consumer Reviews

1998 Mazda Protege

View reviews for a specific Protege model:

It's an O.K. generic car
By trew

1998 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

Wife bought this new in 1998. It was overpriced and underpowered, but has been extremely reliable. We had problems with the plactic breaking off into the door locks. The exhaust manifold cracked and had to replace. Has been a good all around, "plain jane" car. Not much styling to it - looks like a jellybean like most other sedans of that year. Overall, a decent car.

Favorite Features

Great gas mileage. Doesn't draw too much attention. Very reliable. Wife likes it. Gonna drive the wheels of it.

Suggested Improvements

Needed more power and better styling. The driver's seat doesn't slide back far enough for tall people.

Protege review
By farmerrob17

1998 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

It is ok for a little car but the transmission starts to slow down after 98000 miles on the car.

Favorite Features

The radio, the fuel mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Better tranny, and a body that won't rust as much.

11 Years and Still A Great Car
By Nadine

1998 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

I have owned my Mazda for eleven years. Purchased it from the showroom floor. After 150k mi it is still running strong. I am still getting 34 mpg, that is fantastic! I am just bumped they no longer make these cars! I can only hope the Mazda 6 is as reliable as my trusty Protege has been!

The engine will last forever
By MinnesotaCatWoman

1998 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

I consider my 11 year old Protege to be young by Mazda standards with only 149,000 miles on it. My family owned a '91 Protege and drove it to 277,000 miles over the course of 8 years. The engine runs great and the car always starts in all weather. Manual transmission handles great in snow and ice, car is a bit unstable driving through deep mud and water. I get 37 MPG highway. Car is so little that it's not very comfortable on the highway. You feel every bump in the road and every wind gust. The body has lots of rust on it but the car lives in Minnesota. The suspension is giving out, likely due to rust. I love my little car but wish the suspension wasn't dead.

Favorite Features

Awesome gas mileage, comfortable front seats, great visibility (almost no blind spot), rear defroster works great, roomy rear seat, easily accessible battery for jump starts or replacements.

Suggested Improvements

Make the sunroof a power sunroof, make fold down rear seats. Would like to be able to pop my trunk from inside the car, only way to open the trunk is with the key.

Happy Owner
By Bryan

1998 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

I am the original owner of my Mazda, had the vehicle now for 8 years; it has only 82,000 miles. For a compact vehicle it has a lot of leg and head room, it drives and handles well great gas mileage. It's been trouble free except for the normal wear and tear. This is my third Mazda, best vehicle I ever purchased!

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, air conditioner, CD player, sunroof, tight steering.

Suggested Improvements

More power especially on the automatics.