1998 Mazda Protege Sedan 1.5L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual Consumer Reviews

1998 Mazda Protege Sedan - Consumer Reviews

DX Sedan (1.5L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

View reviews for a specific Protege model:
The engine will last forever
By MinnesotaCatWoman on 07/07/10 20:53 PM (PDT)

1998 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I consider my 11 year old Protege to be young by Mazda standards with only 149,000 miles on it. My family owned a '91 Protege and drove it to 277,000 miles over the course of 8 years. The engine runs great and the car always starts in all weather. Manual transmission handles great in snow and ice, car is a bit unstable driving through deep mud and water. I get 37 MPG highway. Car is so little that it's not very comfortable on the highway. You feel every bump in the road and every wind gust. The body has lots of rust on it but the car lives in Minnesota. The suspension is giving out, likely due to rust. I love my little car but wish the suspension wasn't dead.

11 Years and Still A Great Car
By Nadine on 11/29/08 03:55 AM (PST)

1998 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I have owned my Mazda for eleven years. Purchased it from the showroom floor. After 150k mi it is still running strong. I am still getting 34 mpg, that is fantastic! I am just bumped they no longer make these cars! I can only hope the Mazda 6 is as reliable as my trusty Protege has been!

Protege
By Slavik Melnik on 11/04/08 00:22 AM (PST)

1998 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Had this car for over 2 years. Put many miles on it, but now its leaking oil and a bunch of other problems. I needed to replace the serpentine belt 3 times in 2 years. Had to replace the battery once too. Don't buy this car if it's got more than 150,000 miles on it. Everything seems to go wrong with it when it reaches that mark.

10 years and still delivering
By Richard A. on 04/17/08 15:55 PM (PDT)

1998 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Bought the car new in 1998. Outside of normal maintenance, the car has been a joy to own. Since the car is ten years old, when I'm in the market for a new car, I will revisit Mazda first, as I like many of the newer cars.

Mazda
By Charlotte Spear on 08/20/05 16:37 PM (PDT)

1998 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

At 140,00 miles only the preventative timing belt and front brakes have been replaced.

Sweet car
By iBlue on 11/11/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

My wife drives this car. She loves it since day one. It's as sweet as her. Everything runs great so far and she praises it more than me:( As the passenger (sometimes), I would like to complaint its comfortness. But I am not sure the discomfort is caused by the car design or my wife 's poor driving skills/habits... Anyway, I bought a Mazda later too.

Love my 5 year old Protege!
By jalth on 10/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I have had my car for over 5 years now, bought it with 30 miles on it. I drive it about 11,000 miles a year. This car has been so good to me. I have only had 1 minor problem so far with it, the shifter froze one winter and wouldn't shift, but that was fixed years ago. This car has been so dependable, I would recommend to anyone.

Reliable, fun, needs more power!
By dennisjhs on 03/09/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

This is my 5th Mazda, 2nd Protege. Fun to drive, but, even with the manual transmission needs more umph! The 13" tyres don't grip the road very well, so I replaced the wheels with alloys and used the stock LX/ES sized tyres of 185x65x14 and it made a considerable improvement in handling and braking. But, inspite of the manual transmission, its a loud vehicle; I installed Dynashield Extreme and other sound insulation products to kill the road noise. Reliable, has only needed regular maintance in 101,000 miles and a battery. Was totaled in a accident, so I looking for another to replace it.

Better Interior than Honda Civic
By Mazda Owner on 03/10/02 23:52 PM (PST)

1998 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

This car was the best handling and had the nicest interior. Doesn't look cheap and rattle like Honda Civic. Although, the 96 hp model I drove was a little low on power, it was great on highway and city.

Mazda Protege DX 1998
By morris on 02/28/02 11:02 AM (PST)

1998 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Some hardwares and accessories broke down during the warranty period. For example, the front brakes were no good and made noises when backing up because they were poorly built. My dook locks were made of plastic components and it invited trouble that was reason why I had to replace both my door locks.