Used 1998 Mazda Protege DX Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Mazda Protege - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:

The engine will last forever
By MinnesotaCatWoman

1998 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I consider my 11 year old Protege to be young by Mazda standards with only 149,000 miles on it. My family owned a '91 Protege and drove it to 277,000 miles over the course of 8 years. The engine runs great and the car always starts in all weather. Manual transmission handles great in snow and ice, car is a bit unstable driving through deep mud and water. I get 37 MPG highway. Car is so little that it's not very comfortable on the highway. You feel every bump in the road and every wind gust. The body has lots of rust on it but the car lives in Minnesota. The suspension is giving out, likely due to rust. I love my little car but wish the suspension wasn't dead.

Favorite Features

Awesome gas mileage, comfortable front seats, great visibility (almost no blind spot), rear defroster works great, roomy rear seat, easily accessible battery for jump starts or replacements.

Suggested Improvements

Make the sunroof a power sunroof, make fold down rear seats. Would like to be able to pop my trunk from inside the car, only way to open the trunk is with the key.

11 Years and Still A Great Car
By Nadine

1998 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I have owned my Mazda for eleven years. Purchased it from the showroom floor. After 150k mi it is still running strong. I am still getting 34 mpg, that is fantastic! I am just bumped they no longer make these cars! I can only hope the Mazda 6 is as reliable as my trusty Protege has been!

Protege
By Slavik Melnik

1998 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Had this car for over 2 years. Put many miles on it, but now its leaking oil and a bunch of other problems. I needed to replace the serpentine belt 3 times in 2 years. Had to replace the battery once too. Don't buy this car if it's got more than 150,000 miles on it. Everything seems to go wrong with it when it reaches that mark.

Favorite Features

It's good on gas millage. That's the only good thing about it.

Suggested Improvements

The drive train always has issues,constantly squealing belts, bad head gasket cover, leaky oil and everything else. It's a maintenance hog pretty much.

10 years and still delivering
By Richard A.

1998 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Bought the car new in 1998. Outside of normal maintenance, the car has been a joy to own. Since the car is ten years old, when I'm in the market for a new car, I will revisit Mazda first, as I like many of the newer cars.

Favorite Features

Dependability and mileage. Just took a road trip over 1400 miles and averaged 40 m.p.g. I know it's highway miles, but with gas prices being what they are, who could ask for more?

Mazda
By Charlotte Spear

1998 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

At 140,00 miles only the preventative timing belt and front brakes have been replaced.

Favorite Features

Reliability - it has always started.

Suggested Improvements

The alignment had to be adjusted several times and there is quite a bit of road noise - but its a compact.