1998 Mazda Protege - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:
Worst car I ever owned
By j c on 07/29/08 09:45 AM (PDT)

1998 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

This is the worst car I have ever owned. The front end vibrated all the time, and no mechanic could figure out why. It idled rough and couldn't be fixed. The front brake pads needed to be replaced every 10,000 to 20,000 miles. The transmission stuck and when it did finally shift, it really jolted me. One of the four engine cylinders was low in pressure. The car had too small of an engine for the size of the car. All of this was from the beginning of ownership. It had only 40 miles on it when I bought it in Dec, 1998. I think I got a lemon.

Protege review
By farmerrob17 on 04/15/08 13:50 PM (PDT)

1998 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

It is ok for a little car but the transmission starts to slow down after 98000 miles on the car.

Mazda Protege review
By MP on 04/01/08 11:32 AM (PDT)

1998 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

This has been a nice car for a high school grad. Very safe and easy to maintain car. It has all the features and the compact size is the winner.

I love my mazda
By matt on 12/30/07 22:09 PM (PST)

1998 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

I bought my protege with 109k. I love my car and I am upgrading the motor to the larger motor found in the ES version, same motor as in the miata. This vehicle is still strong and loving everything i throw at it, has 143k on it now!

Happy Owner
By Bryan on 10/02/06 12:35 PM (PDT)

1998 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

I am the original owner of my Mazda, had the vehicle now for 8 years; it has only 82,000 miles. For a compact vehicle it has a lot of leg and head room, it drives and handles well great gas mileage. It's been trouble free except for the normal wear and tear. This is my third Mazda, best vehicle I ever purchased!

Happy Owner
By Rege on 09/27/06 15:21 PM (PDT)

1998 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

I purchased my Mazda brand new; it had only 10 miles when I drove it off the lot. One of the best cars I've owned, great gas mileage, fun car to drive, low maintenance just the normal wear & tear. The down side is needs more power especially on the automatic 1.5 liter engine. Still own the car it has only 82,000 miles!

Fun car
By Danioes on 01/16/05 03:07 AM (PST)

1998 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

Bought the car at 71,000 miles. It's been trouble free with only preventive maintenance needed. The 1.5 is underpowered, but the 5-speed makes it fun to drive. This car also gets great mileage (30 mpg city/highway mix, 37 mpg all highway). Roomy car (I am 6'5"). Very very practical car.

It's an O.K. generic car
By trew on 02/01/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

Wife bought this new in 1998. It was overpriced and underpowered, but has been extremely reliable. We had problems with the plactic breaking off into the door locks. The exhaust manifold cracked and had to replace. Has been a good all around, "plain jane" car. Not much styling to it - looks like a jellybean like most other sedans of that year. Overall, a decent car.

Great Buy!
By Brad H. on 09/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

1998 Mazda Protege LX has been my best used car purchase ever. I got a great deal on a clean model and other than changing the timing belt as a preventative maintenance item, I have had no expenses other than gas and oil. Smooth ride, adequate performance (even with the 4-speed auto), and good handling have made me a happy owner.

Never been impressed more!
By Civad on 07/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

This is my first car (used). I bought it at 53,300 miles, and currently at 65k miles, I haven't had too many troubles with it. I drive the car off road as well, most often without any problems. The fuel economy is good at 30 MPG city/highway mix. Overall, I am pretty impressed with this car. After spending over $1k in the past year over scheduled maintenance and/or parts replacements, (including 60K scheduled service) my mechanic says that my car is as good as new :).