Used 1998 Mazda Protege LX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Mazda Protege - Consumer Reviews

1998 Mazda Protege

View reviews for a specific Protege model:

Worst car I ever owned
By j c

1998 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

This is the worst car I have ever owned. The front end vibrated all the time, and no mechanic could figure out why. It idled rough and couldn't be fixed. The front brake pads needed to be replaced every 10,000 to 20,000 miles. The transmission stuck and when it did finally shift, it really jolted me. One of the four engine cylinders was low in pressure. The car had too small of an engine for the size of the car. All of this was from the beginning of ownership. It had only 40 miles on it when I bought it in Dec, 1998. I think I got a lemon.

Favorite Features

Locking door to the gas cap. Cruise control. Tilt steering wheel.

Suggested Improvements

More powerful engine. Better transmission. Something to keep the car from vibrating. Better brakes.

Protege review
By farmerrob17

1998 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

It is ok for a little car but the transmission starts to slow down after 98000 miles on the car.

Favorite Features

The radio, the fuel mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Better tranny, and a body that won't rust as much.

Mazda Protege review
By MP

1998 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

This has been a nice car for a high school grad. Very safe and easy to maintain car. It has all the features and the compact size is the winner.

Favorite Features

Solid construction and reliable car. Low or no maintenance!

Suggested Improvements

Improve fuel efficiency. For the size of the engine and body, Mazda could have done a better job.

I love my mazda
By matt

1998 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

I bought my protege with 109k. I love my car and I am upgrading the motor to the larger motor found in the ES version, same motor as in the miata. This vehicle is still strong and loving everything i throw at it, has 143k on it now!

Favorite Features

Styling is smooth and very sexy, especially the rear end, with my fat rims on it of course! The interior is simple but well made and still up to date even now, although the radio was disappointing but arn't they all like that!

Suggested Improvements

Mazda designed a beautifully well made economy car with the 1.5 engine, the 1.8 is still economical but with a more sporty side to it! I think they should have brought the hatchback and AWD platform to the states

Happy Owner
By Bryan

1998 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

I am the original owner of my Mazda, had the vehicle now for 8 years; it has only 82,000 miles. For a compact vehicle it has a lot of leg and head room, it drives and handles well great gas mileage. It's been trouble free except for the normal wear and tear. This is my third Mazda, best vehicle I ever purchased!

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, air conditioner, CD player, sunroof, tight steering.

Suggested Improvements

More power especially on the automatics.