1998 Mazda Protege - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:
Timex Tin Can
By craig on 02/20/09 18:25 PM (PST)

1998 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan

The car has been very reliable as others have mentioned, however this is transportation at it's most basic level. This car is a noisy tin can on wheels. Radio must be cranked in order to overcome excessive road noise. Car lacks power even with the larger 1.8L engine and is really not that great on gas. I rarely take it on highways and my wife refuses to drive it at all because of the "Tin Can" feel. With that said, it is a reliable beater for local commutes but would not take this car on long trips.

Reliable
By Mirko on 05/13/06 06:11 AM (PDT)

1998 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan

Bought it new. Now have 180k (yes, miles!) on it. Only oil changes (sometimes I forgot to do it). Replaced clutch plate twice (it is manual shift). Engine light goes on in wet weather from day one. Nobody knows why. Excellent, reliable small car. My two teenagers mastered stick-shift on it and it survived. Will highly recommend. Changed brake pads only twice.

Mike's Protege
By MikeMcG on 08/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan

A sporty car under a sedan skin. ItÂ’s big enough in the back for 2 child car seats with room for a third to squeeze in too. It gets a little noisy inside at high speeds so be sure to turn the radio up loud. After 77,000 miles not a bit of trouble. In fact, I wound it to the red line through 4 gears coming off a stop light just the other day.

Great Little Car
By MikenLosangeles on 04/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan

I did maticulous research for my very 1st car, and all leading magazines pointed to the Mazda Protege. I found the "ES" version much more appointing than the other trim lines; Plus it had a larger engine. It's been very reliable. I really enjoy this car; i slapped on a bra on the car; and it looks 100% better; some don't recognize my car without it!

Protege ES '98
By AS on 03/14/02 12:01 PM (PST)

1998 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan

The best experience ever. Roomy small car, which runs like new with over 47000 Miles. Car just feels as a "solid rock" every time I get inside.