1997 Mazda Protege - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:
fun car!
By DreDre on 09/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

I love driving this car! I have a 1.5 liter engine, and with a standard it has plenty of pick-up. It shifts like a dream, one of the easiest I've encountered. I'm over 100,000 miles and have never had any major problems with my car. I'll definitely but Mazda again!

The 1.5 liter, what a mistake!
By Spazzo on 08/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

Its a good all around car, but its not an enthuesiasts car, at least with 1.5 liter it isnt. It has the most body roll for a car its size, I know of SUVs with less lean. But its very reliable and well appointed. If you get this car, a 2nd generation Protege with very slow 92 horspower engine, at least get a 5 speed to entertain your self.

Bamaleo Mazda
By Bamaleo on 07/31/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

Do not expect great performance. Slow to speed. Best design of its category. Reliable

Excellent subcompact car
By TJN on 06/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

This car has performed well---good balance between cost,style, economy,and comfort. Good AC-needed here in South Texas all year. Good value. Some irritating problems after 100000 miles, nothing major. Will buy a Mazda again.

Great Car!
By Beckie01 on 04/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

It is a small version of a luxury car.

Very Bumpy Ride
By Lori on 04/22/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

I was very dissapointed with this car. Pick up is horrendus. Sometimes I am afraid to make a left hand turn into a busy intersection, for fear the car won't make it. I am looking forward to getting rid of this vehichle.

Reliable and Good Gas Mileage
By Brad Levsen on 02/27/02 20:40 PM (PST)

1997 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

I own both a 97 and 98 Protégé. Both have been very dependable. I would recommend this car if you are looking for something that is inexpensive, reliable and provides good gas mileage. Both of my cars are LXs, which are somewhat sporty looking, but this is definitely not the car to buy if you are looking for performance.