Used 1997 Mazda Protege Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Mazda Protege Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:

Great little (big) car
By David M.

1997 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Bought this car brand new 9 years ago, and have not had a single regret. This car has been as flawless as any vehicle could possibly be for this long. Can't say enough about how great it's been, and says a lot for how underrated Mazda is as a company, in general. This car is also deceptively roomy-- total interior volume tops an Infiniti Q45 of the same year (their flagship luxury car)! I would recommend the addition of a K&N air filter for those looking for a little more power/fuel economy.

Very roomy interior, thoughtfully laid out controls, and excellent gas mileage. Well equipped for an affordable compact (power sunroof, windows, mirrors, locks, cruise, etc). Performance with just 96hp still puts smile on my face (Zoom Zoom). The 5 speed is a must.

Brakes always felt slightly underpowered, but otherwise the Protege has been thoroughly revised over the years.

cheap but reliable
By Mrasol1

1997 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

We bought this car to "drive the wheels off". We have put few dollars into the car(brakes, emission system) and it still runs great and gets 31 MPG around town. This isn't a car for long trips with the family, but it does what we want it to a low cost.

This car came loaded with extras which make it well worth the price.

Sound insulation, tinted glass.

Reliable, sensible car
By MD driver

1997 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I've driven this car all over the country, literally. Performs adequately, not powerful at all but extrememly reliable. The gas mileage is great (39ish on the highways). Overall, nothing special, but a good car to own.

Gas mileage, lack of major work

For the car it's meant to be, nothing much

Been A Pleasure To Own
By Porkadiah

1997 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I've had this car for almost four years, and I haven't had a single problem with it the entire time. Utterly dependable and surprisingly good gas mileage (I have a manual, but on Insterstate driving 70 mph with AC going I STILL get 37 mpg).

Reliability and MPG

My brakes have always seemed a tad under powered. Other than that I think Mazda nailed it.

Love this car!
By nailgirl

1997 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

This is the very first car I have ever bought and paid for myself - and it is worth every penny. Of course I make sure I keep up with all of my scheduled maintenance - this car will be with me for a long time!

Little car with a big heart!

Little more power would be nice