1997 Mazda Protege - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:
Just won't die
By mochica on 04/18/14 23:56 PM (PDT)

1997 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

Best reliable car I 've ever bought . After 17 years, car runs strong. I drive 120 miles daily average. Everything works. Mpg @33mpg. Mayor repairs: timing belt/ radiator change / front axles. Minor: Upstream O2 sensor / EGR valve clean up. Car easy to repair. Done it myself except timing belt. Total $ amount of repairs + tires= $4,300. Walmart brand synthetic oil keeps this car well lubed all these years.

indestructible
By pony_rider on 09/09/13 21:11 PM (PDT)

1997 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

Just bought this 97 Mazda protege today from a friends dad for 700 bucks it runs good has a lot of pep to it has 309K on it but it feels like it has twice that still left in it compared to my dads Geo Prizm the previous owner didnt baby this car but didnt take it easy either the car has a few minor issues but I would trust it to go any where it is an LX with the sunroof and cd player/cassette power windows I really like it I bought it to save on gas and it does that well plan on having it for as long as it holds together

Great fuel economy and reliable too.
By jbaggins on 07/22/12 09:13 AM (PDT)

1997 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

Simply the best little car you could ask for. 5 speed shifts great, has sporty handling, has been super reliable (only a water pump in 5 years). Best gas mileage of any small car of its vintage with the 1.5L engine. Great for short trips but seating is not comfortable for me or the kids. Good layout of controls (It's a Mazda). No A/C and the car is super hot in summer due to non-tinted glass. Ours has manual windows but no problems with interior hardware to date. Everything still works. Engine was been great, passes emission test every 2 years. Not good in snow due to low sports-car like ground clearance.

Still Going After 15 Years
By cjh1948 on 07/10/11 08:20 AM (PDT)

1997 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

OK, so this is not a sexy looking car with super electronics. But, it is still going strong after 15 years, gets good mpg, and does not cost a lot to own/maintain. It's not comfortable enough for long hauls, but I only use it for short, around town trips, so it meets my needs. Paint is still holding up, as is the upholstry. Water pump replacement is about the most major repair the car has had.

'97 Mazda Protege LX
By DJ Wheel on 08/21/09 10:58 AM (PDT)

1997 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

One owner, regular maintenance,timing chain replaced at 85,000, new tires, 90,000+ miles, exterior white paint flaws.

Still going as new
By jim on 06/08/08 22:39 PM (PDT)

1997 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

Bought it with 28,000 miles in Jan 98. Replaced battery and brakes. NO problem at all. It has automatic but never fail. I'll buy another when it quits some year.

11 Years Later
By Richard on 04/24/08 20:59 PM (PDT)

1997 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

My wife and I bought our 1997 Mazda LX Protege 5 speed manual back in 1997 brand new and still own it today. Other than small maintenence issues such as replacing batteries and giving it a tune up every couple of years, we have not had one single problem with it. The car still drives smooth (it is slow with the 1.5) but it's roomy and somewhat comfortable, just don't try to pass quickly on a freeway, or climb steep inclines, because you will creep up the mountain etc. The vehicle doesn't burn or drip oil and the paint job still looks very sharp for such an old car, and the interior (cloth) still looks nice and tight. We really love this car!

Good "old" car
By Patrick on 07/13/07 08:54 AM (PDT)

1997 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

My Mazda Protege is now 10 yrs old and I'd buy one again in a minute. No mechanical problems to speak of. CD tape deck broke but it had a lot of use. Tires held up well until chosen replacement. Exterior dark blue paint in good condition; scratches, however, show up on dark colors. All in all, this is a job to drive. Try it and you'll see.

Mazda Protege
By ANiftyGuy on 06/29/06 12:56 PM (PDT)

1997 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

Bought the car to get me to work and back. Commuting put a lot of miles on it. It drove well on freeway and around town and got great gas mileage. It is not the most comfortable, but I would (by far) consider it the best buy for its cost.

no problems at all
By margie on 05/11/06 15:39 PM (PDT)

1997 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 1200 miles on it and have never had a problem with it. I drive long miles and have felt very safe in this car. This car is used like a truck and is very large inside.