Used 1996 Mazda Protege Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Mazda Protege - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:

Excellent Car
By Moe

1996 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

My Dad bought this car brand new and crashed it the same year - body damage only. He gave it to me in 2006 with 84k miles on. Runs excellent. Top marks for fuel efficiency. Nimble handling for a basic car. Tires hug the roads. Very roomy compared to the competition, about the same as my '94 Accord. Shifts very well. Get the five speed to the get the most out of the engine's power and economy. All in all, it is a great first car or a commuter car.

Rather elegant design for its class. Very roomy. Excellent gas mileage. Nice and simple interior layout.

Slightly stronger build. More standard features.

Mazda Protege Great Car
By JsyJack

1996 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

Great car, no major problems in the 10 years we've owned it. Would gladly buy another.

Overall economy & above average reliability.

Enhance the air conditioning.

96 Protege DX 1.5L 5 speed manual 86K miles
By Philly Pete

1996 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

Great economy sedan. Sips gas, lacks acceleration, good handling and braking. Car is severely underpowered, lacks many creature comforts. A/C works VERY well and the car gets me to and from work. It is pretty good on the highway, but in stop and go driving it is annoying because of the poor acceleration. Lightweight sedan is highly functional as a commuter car. I replaced the tires, brakes, and exhaust since 2003 and performed routine maintenance. That's it and it keeps going strong. I will continue to drive it for as long as possible because of the rising cost of gas.

Fuel economy, spirited handling (once you get moving), light weight, 5 speed manual transmission gets the most out of tiny engine.

No interior trunk release is annoying.

Mazda Protege 1996 DX
By mazda owner

1996 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

Excellent vehicle with excellent fuel efficiency. I have a manual with 130K miles and still getting 38+ MPG. Exhaust manifold and alternator replaced in addition to routine maintenance. Simple car that continues be reliable and efficient.

Fuel efficiency.

Safety features.

Decent little car
By 02Pro5

1996 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

I had the base model for 3 years and had very few problems with it. A few heat shields came loose due to rust, and the muffler and main exhaust pipe had to be replace. Also, within the months of owning it, I had problems with it stalling in wet or damp weather. I replaced the spark plug wires and distributor and also sprayed it with ignition protector, but the problem always seemed to come back. The 1.5 liter is underpowered, especially with the auto trans. Handling is decent (typical for a compact car), but road noise seemed a little high.

Great on gas (averaged 30 mpg) CD player (which I installed) Fairly light car (improves handling/braking)

- Wish I had an interior trunk release - Larger base engine - Alloy wheels are UGLY