1996 Mazda Protege - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:
need more improvement!
By c7edmundyoung on 08/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

I bought the car two years ago from friend. It goods great, but after two months, lots of problems existed. Runs poorly when I went uphill, it need more power... brake run badly, and I also need to fix the engire after one year from my purchase. If you're going to choose Mazda Protege, I would suggest you to buy other cars like Honda. More reliability.

Hey, it's a great little car
By 2young2retire on 07/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

At almost 151,000 miles it is still a very reliable car. The only things to fail were the EGR valve at 110,000 miles and the air conditioner condensor cooling fan at 140,000 miles. It just keeps going, and going and going. Doesn't even burn any oil.

Great Car
By Shanemacisaac on 05/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan

If your looking for a reliable car mazda protege is it. I have over 230000 miles with no major work having to be done to the car. Just regular maintence.

Mazda Protege '96
By jwardall on 04/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

I've owned 4 cars to date, and my mazda is the most fun and reliable one I've owned. Maintenance is low and very economical on gas.

Ok in a pinch but don't by otherwise
By Morgan G on 03/09/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

Overall I have liked this car for the year that I have had it. When it comes to power the protege has none. With a 90 HP moter, the car does terribly on hills and when accelerating. The automatic transmission was really slow to down shift unless you really floored it. If power isn't your thing it might be a good car. Also the radio is really low and hard to see when driving. Go with a Honda

fun to drive
By savage on 01/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

This is my girlfriend's car but, I drive it sometimes too. I think it drives great, good handling. This is my girlfriends first car and I think this is for the price a great starter car, very reliable. She only had to have the windsheild wiper motor replaced other than that it's a great car. 118,000 kms on it and still runs like a perfect...

Great Car
By Mickey_58 on 12/03/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

It's a great car never had anyproblems except for the normal brakes, batteries and tires. Going to trade it in for a newer one when I graduate college!!!

Shoulda been better!
By knuckleballhq on 11/27/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

Warranty work included changing both front wheel bearings, a tape-cooking radio with another one that did likewise, and then the fun started. Bearings went in the alternator, A/C compressor, and the MAIN BEARINGS in the engine! I'm kind of a geezer who doesn't beat on cars by any stretch, but this car should not have been losing its bearings from birth.

Once again, Mazdas are great solid cars
By 4xMazda on 11/24/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

This Protege is my fourth Mazda. I returned to the smaller body style from the 626 because it is more perky and better on gas mileage. These cars just seem to be custom-made for me-- everything's in comrfortable reach. Very dependable, low maintenance, and a great value!

Very reliable car
By RDA on 10/05/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan

My Protege has over 163,000 miles and has had very few problems. Mileage has been 35+ MPG on the highway. The rear seat is roomy enough for my giant teenage boys. I expect this car to make it to 200,000 miles with no major problems.