Used 1996 Mazda Protege Consumer Reviews - 34 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Mazda Protege - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:

my protege
By Jannet Bahraini

1996 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car back in November 1995and have been driving it ever since. it is in a good shape. looks like a brand new car and I love to drive it. never had any problem and I 'll recommend Mazda to every friend and family member and to you too!!!

thw shape of car is nice. simple and chic!!

I wish the color of interior and exterior would be the same or using a better material for the interior not to faded after a while.

Great car!!!!
By Protege Gal

1996 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

I had my 1996 Mazda Protege DX for 8 years and have Loved it! I did put some money into maintenance over the years...but nothing compared to how little I paid for it. It lacked a little on it's get up and go but It was 100% reliable. Never had to worry about getting where I needed to go. I just bought a new car...and was actually sad to have to leave my protege. I would definitely recommend this as a first time car or as a little zip around town car!!!

96 Protege DX Great Commuter!
By Sarah

1996 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

If you want a very dependable car, this is it! The DX model doesn't have all the bells and whistles, kinda a pain without power windows or locks. The giddy-up is slower in high traffic, but responds when needed. The interior space is limiting on long trips, but those inconveniences are minor disabilities. The overall economy is awesome (38-42mpg). You can't go work with this car - I travel 200 miles daily and have had to to little with this car. Routine maintenance (oil, tire rotation, etc). I drove 1100 miles this past weekend and couldn't be happier with the car - super hot and muggy outside and the car was perfect! I'd go anywhere with this car. 98K miles and going very strong

The obvious favorite feature is the fuel economy. With the price of gas going crazy, I laugh when I fill up the tank for $25. This car always starts and runs quietly every trip.

A little more comfort in the seat and interior leg room space could be better. On long trips, you need to stretch out. I'd pay for more comfort.

13 years and still running strong
By petedaddy

1996 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan

This car was purchased new. Current daily commute of 50 miles RT and mileage of 118K. Never garaged and live in Northeast so rust of exhaust system was a problem. Replaced exhaust pipes, then muffler over last two years. Underpowered, but very economical, still average 35+ MPG. Overall this has been an unbelievable good car.

Fuel economy and reliability. True cost to own the lowest I have ever seen!!! Great basic car.

Lack of power, but it's a tradeoff for great mileage. Seats uncomfortable for long trips.

Most reliable car I've owned
By MazdaLover

1996 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan

I bought my 96 Protege in 2003 with 89,000 miles on it. I junked it in 2006 with almost 200,000 on it. I never had it in the repair shop once while I owned it (except for oil changes) and it never stalled on me or failed to start. When I dropped this car off in the junkyard I was almost in tears. The motor was in PERFECT condition, never ate oil or even sputtered, I didn't have to drop a dime into the engine on it. The only reason I had to get rid of it is because I drove it so hard the doors were literally falling off of it (string held them closed). I can not stress enough how much I loved this car. I drove it through hell and back- albeit pretty slowly-the car is underpowered-and it never quit.

Gas mileage (over 30 mpg). Reliability--never stalled or failed to start.

little more power in the engine---other than that the car is PERFECT!