1996 Mazda Protege Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:
My first car
By Christina on 12/03/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

First I would like to say, this is just my experience with this car. Most of the comments hear are pretty good and I think I just got "the bad one". My mother purchased this car for me as a graduation present in 2004. We bought it @ an auction and paid about $2000 with a little over 100k miles. The engine was replace in 2006 and it seemed to be fine. But as time went on I start experiencing unresolved electrical problems, computer problems, and altenator problems. I later found out that the "new engine" was damaged and the odometer was set back. Current its @ 160k (really about 190k), stills runs but on its last leg. We've spent thousands of $$ in repairs. Good car, just do research b4 u buy

First Car
By daniel on 08/11/09 08:45 AM (PDT)

1996 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Overall this car is fantastic. I got it for my 18th birthday and I'm in love with it. The engine is a little underpowered but the manual helps hide it. I just learned how to drive stick shift with this car because it is so easy. The DX trim lacks basic comforts like power anything or cruise control but the car is very easy to work on. The 1.5 liter engine makes incredible gas mileage, I went 80 miles on a little less than a 1/4 tank. Its great for a starter car or student can go forever with proper maintenance.

my protege
By Jannet Bahraini on 07/24/09 10:01 AM (PDT)

1996 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car back in November 1995and have been driving it ever since. it is in a good shape. looks like a brand new car and I love to drive it. never had any problem and I 'll recommend Mazda to every friend and family member and to you too!!!

Great car!!!!
By Protege Gal on 07/11/09 12:23 PM (PDT)

1996 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I had my 1996 Mazda Protege DX for 8 years and have Loved it! I did put some money into maintenance over the years...but nothing compared to how little I paid for it. It lacked a little on it's get up and go but It was 100% reliable. Never had to worry about getting where I needed to go. I just bought a new car...and was actually sad to have to leave my protege. I would definitely recommend this as a first time car or as a little zip around town car!!!

96 Protege DX Great Commuter!
By Sarah on 06/27/09 21:23 PM (PDT)

1996 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

If you want a very dependable car, this is it! The DX model doesn't have all the bells and whistles, kinda a pain without power windows or locks. The giddy-up is slower in high traffic, but responds when needed. The interior space is limiting on long trips, but those inconveniences are minor disabilities. The overall economy is awesome (38-42mpg). You can't go work with this car - I travel 200 miles daily and have had to to little with this car. Routine maintenance (oil, tire rotation, etc). I drove 1100 miles this past weekend and couldn't be happier with the car - super hot and muggy outside and the car was perfect! I'd go anywhere with this car. 98K miles and going very strong

13 years and still running strong
By petedaddy on 05/18/09 07:43 AM (PDT)

1996 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

This car was purchased new. Current daily commute of 50 miles RT and mileage of 118K. Never garaged and live in Northeast so rust of exhaust system was a problem. Replaced exhaust pipes, then muffler over last two years. Underpowered, but very economical, still average 35+ MPG. Overall this has been an unbelievable good car.

Great little car
By Colorado on 07/12/07 12:48 PM (PDT)

1996 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 62000 miles from someone that had several accidents and didn't take care of it. After a new door, seat and a little work I have put more than 40,000 miles on it. It is a fun car to drive and costs nothing to keep it going.

Excellent Car
By Moe on 12/05/06 13:48 PM (PST)

1996 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

My Dad bought this car brand new and crashed it the same year - body damage only. He gave it to me in 2006 with 84k miles on. Runs excellent. Top marks for fuel efficiency. Nimble handling for a basic car. Tires hug the roads. Very roomy compared to the competition, about the same as my '94 Accord. Shifts very well. Get the five speed to the get the most out of the engine's power and economy. All in all, it is a great first car or a commuter car.

96 Protege DX 1.5L 5 speed manual 86K miles
By Philly Pete on 08/01/06 10:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Great economy sedan. Sips gas, lacks acceleration, good handling and braking. Car is severely underpowered, lacks many creature comforts. A/C works VERY well and the car gets me to and from work. It is pretty good on the highway, but in stop and go driving it is annoying because of the poor acceleration. Lightweight sedan is highly functional as a commuter car. I replaced the tires, brakes, and exhaust since 2003 and performed routine maintenance. That's it and it keeps going strong. I will continue to drive it for as long as possible because of the rising cost of gas.

Mazda Protege 1996 DX
By mazda owner on 11/01/05 23:43 PM (PST)

1996 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Excellent vehicle with excellent fuel efficiency. I have a manual with 130K miles and still getting 38+ MPG. Exhaust manifold and alternator replaced in addition to routine maintenance. Simple car that continues be reliable and efficient.